Heat exchanger

Sponsored Links
I would ask the fault but the customer tells me the fault is the starter I had two car engineers look at it and they told me it was the starter 100% it will be the starter. Heating repair men ask three and get three different answers lack if training.

That shows a lack of understanding of the wide range of current cars!

On modern hybrid or just some of the more energy efficient cars, the engine is stopped when the car stops moving and it is restarted when engine power is required again.

So it can equally be the ECU or one of the many sensors has failed!

Tony

Sponsored Links
What starts a modern car?
The starter motor...........acting on the flywheel ring gear.........which could also be the fault.

Well that is the simple answer.

On my Pug 406 it will not start until you have been sober enough to enter the correct pin on the keypad.

If the starter motor pinion is jammed then the motor will turn but not the engine.

On my 206 it will not start at all if the display says STOP !

Nor will it start of the ECU has "gone to sleep".

Nor if the ECU thinks the car has been involved in an accident.

Bet the OP can't work out what make and model (precise model please) I am talking about.

God I loved that car.

Austin Maestro in hearing aid beige?

That wasn't hearing aid beige. Someone on the 'colour choosing committee' had a bad curry one night, and the rest of the committee went into the ladies the next day and copied the colour in the bowl.:cool:

Anyway what about the Dual Mass Flywheel and the starter motor with its own internal gearbox? No longer does the ignition switch send 12v to a relay which sends 12v to the starter motor. The ignition switch sends a 'wake up you lazy bar steward' signal to the ECU. A few seconds later the ECU sends 12v to the starter relay and so on. WHY? What's wrong with sending 12v from switch to starter? GRRRR.
My next car will be a well built classic with as few computers as possible. Probably a W124 Mercedes. Cheap parts, well built, easy to service and repair.
My friend had a Pug. The ECU went. Two weeks in the garage and he was told it will be £850 but you can't have it back yet, we haven't finished. Why does changing an ECU take 2 weeks? 3 weeks later the Peugeot Franchised garage gave up trying to make it work and gave it back to customer with one rear window down. They couldn't make it lift. They downloaded the supposedly correct software from the factory till they were blue in the face and couldn't get the ECU to tell the window to lift. What on earth is wrong with sending battery to ignition switch, through fuse box, to window switch, to window winder motor? It has to go via the ECU.
He doesn't have Peugeots any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back