Heat exchanger

Austin Maestro in hearing aid beige?

I think it was originally all white, then due to rust and assorted panel swaps the bottom half ended up blue.

The ol' man might have even had a crack and painting it himself.... or perhaps the car just looked crap by default... I'm too young and have blocked most of the experience from my mind.

I do remember the red plastic seats that burnt your 'arris in the summer when you wore those acrylic shorts that were the style in the 80's.

I also have vague recollections of driving across the Arabian desert in a Mazda with a broken AC belt. Dad ended up in some trading post in the desert and got an imitation belt off something and proceeded to fix it using some Arab guy's mechanic's tools. Flock knows where the mechanic was - possibly changing a hoof on a camel somewhere.

One of the straws that broke my parent's marriage (so to speak :D) was when we left Libya. Mum flew back with me and dad was to follow. He vanished without word.

2 weeks later he rocked up unannounced outside the house with all our worldly possessions inside, strapped to the roof and the sides. Covered in most of the North African desert the car wheezed to a halt outside the house, and the angle poise light on the roof raised and lowered itself like a railway signal
:LOL:

The silly flecker decided to safe some money. Bought a second hand Morris Minor (or some such), binned the removal company and drove across Libya, then through Europe and across the channel.

The irony is that the NHS was paying for via the Libyan government. :rolleyes:

Motoring in my has always been and "experience" :D.

Oh, and smart alternators? Not the favourite part of diagnostic work. Not had one break though. ;)

Sponsored Links
What starts a modern car?
A human? Not good at cars but flushing and stuff:cool: its all the way for me. So flush any boiler change, boiler will be happy that's for sure and last many more years than Mr sludge it. :D

If you want to talk about fumes of combustion then I will get my god card out awarded to me not so long ago on here.

What am I doing here Dan, you wooood me out again. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Apparently the ecus can take up to 24 hours to shut down totally :rolleyes:. I bought a motor that the roof did not work on and the back windows were down also :rolleyes:

Did your Dad really drive across The channel, that must have been a very cold winter

To get back to the original question, lambda.

I've always wondered what other people's and Viessmann's definition of lambda is, which one from the following?

Upper-case letter Λ

The lambda particle is a type of subatomic particle in subatomic particle physics.
Lambda is the set of logical axioms in the axiomatic method of logical deduction in first-order logic.
Lambda was used as a shield pattern by the Spartan Army. This stood for Lakedaimon, the name of the region of Sparta.
Lambda is the von Mangoldt function in mathematical number theory.
In statistics, Wilks's lambda is used in multivariate analysis of variance (MANOVA analysis) to compare group means on a combination of dependent variables.
In the spectral decomposition of matrices, lambda indicates the diagonal matrix of the eigenvalues of the matrix (mathematics).
In computer science, lambda is the time window over which a process is observed for determining the working memory set for a digital computer's virtual memory management.
In astrophysics, lambda represents the likelihood that a small body will encounter a planet or a dwarf planet leading to a deflection of a significant magnitude. An object with a large value of lambda is expected to have cleared its neighborhood, satisfying the current definition of a planet.
In crystal optics, lambda is used to represent the period of a lattice.
In NATO military operations, a chevron (a capital lambda symbol) is painted on the vehicles of this military alliance for identification.
In chemistry there are Δ (delta) and Λ (lambda) isomers, see: coordination complex
In electrochemistry, lambda denotes the "equivalent conductance" of an electrolyte solution.
In cosmology, lambda is the symbol for the cosmological constant.
In optics, lambda denotes the grating pitch of a Bragg reflector.
In handwritten Russian, this letter represents Л in both uppercase and lowercase formats.

Lower-case letter λ

In evolutionary algorithms, λ indicates the number of offspring that would be generated from μ current population in each generation. The terms μ and λ are originated from Evolution strategy notation.
Lambda indicates the wavelength of any wave, especially in physics, electronics engineering, and mathematics.
Lambda indicates the radioactivity decay constant in nuclear physics and radioactivity. This constant is very simply related (by a multiplicative constant) to the half-life of any radioactive material.
In probability theory, lambda represents the density of occurrences within a time interval, as modeled by the Poisson distribution.
In mathematical logic and computer science, lambda is used to introduce anonymous functions expressed with the concepts of lambda calculus.
Lambda is a symbol for one microliter (1 μL), that is, one cubic millimetre (1 mm3). This use is currently deprecated.
Lambda indicates an eigenvalue in the mathematics of linear algebra.
In the physics of electric fields, lambda sometimes indicates the linear charge density of a uniform line of electric charge (measured in coulombs per meter).
Lambda denotes a Lagrange multiplier in multi-dimensional calculus.
In solid-state electronics, lambda indicates the channel length modulation parameter of a MOSFET.
There is a lambda phage virus in biology.
In ecology, lambda denotes the long-term intrinsic growth rate of a population. This value is often calculated as the dominant eigenvalue of the age/size class matrix (mathematics).
In formal language theory and in computer science, lambda denotes the empty string.[citation needed]
In telecommunications, lambda indicates the wavelength in a wavelength-division multiplexing optical communications system. This is actually a form of the long-established concept of frequency-division multiplexing.
Lambda denotes the Lebesgue measure in mathematical set theory.
The Goodman and Kruskal's lambda in statistics indicates the proportional reduction in error when one variable's values are used to predict the values of another variable.
Lambda denotes the oxygen sensor in a vehicle that measures the air-to-fuel ratio in the exhaust gases of an internal-combustion engine.
A Lambda 4S solid-fuel rocket was used to launch Japan's first orbital satellite in 1970.[4]
Lambda denotes the failure rate of devices and systems in reliability theory, and it is measured in failure events per hour. Numerically, this lambda is also the reciprocal of the mean time between failures.
In criminology, lambda denotes an individual's frequency of offenses.
In cartography and navigation, lambda denotes the longitude of a location.
Lambda is the symbol of the musician Richard D. James or Aphex Twin.
Lambda denotes Christopher Langton's parameter for the classification of Stephen Wolfram's classes of cellular automata.
In electrochemistry, lambda also denotes the ionic conductance of a given ion (The composition of the ion is generally shown as a subscript to the lambda character).
In neurobiology, lambda denotes the length constant (or exponential rate of decay) of the electric potential across the cell membrane along a length of a nerve cell's axon.
In the science and technology of heat transfer, lambda denotes the heat of vaporization per mole of material (a.k.a. its "latent heat").[5]
In the technology and science of celestial navigation, lambda denotes the longitude as opposed to the Roman letter "L", which denotes the latitude.
King Louis XIII of France used the letter lambda as his personal symbol rather than monogram.
In Volvo automobiles, lambda denotes an engine, fuel, or ignition system failure.
A block style Lambda is used as a recurring symbol in the Valve computer game series Half-Life, referring to the Lambda complex of the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility.
The lambda was selected as a symbol by the Gay Activists Alliance of New York in 1970, and declared the international symbol for gay and lesbian rights by the International Gay Rights Congress in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1974.
The "lambda sign" is used for diagnosis of dichorionic twins in obstetric ultrasonography

I relation to cars, I am still waiting for someone to explain what the lambda sensors actually measure and then what the ECU does with the information!

Tony

That's a bit odd really.

They were first called oxygen sensors and only more recently Lambda sensors when in reality they are still just oxygen sensors.

That's very true!

Using a fancy name enables a higher price tag to be used.

It also makes car mechanics sound more clever!

When I had a car MOTed last year one of the exhaust tests was a Lambda test. But the tester could not explain what it was actually measuring!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back