Heat pumps........yeah right !

Sponsored Links
So, is there anyone left with the opinion that we're all doomed to burn in the fires of Hell upon Earth?

We have NEVER enjoyed a stable climate.

Agree with all of that..

He is right I was thinking of putting in a heat pump - might get £5k for free now - or more likely the quote will balloon up by £5k. :D

You need a well insulated and air tight house - old homes need not apply.

Sponsored Links
He is right I was thinking of putting in a heat pump - might get £5k for free now - or more likely the quote will balloon up by £5k. :D

With the amount of hot air you generate I'm surprised you need a heat pump.:whistle:

I've seen it retrofitted to old homes and it work ok, girl at work has an old 1908 ex farm house, gutted it when she bought it, and put 6 inches of insulation on each external wall on the inside (house is grade 2). They managed to get triple glazing and it has 2 acres of land so they dug it up and laid ground source heating.

The house never had gas, and they got the heat pump with a green deal grant they were doing years ago.

Anyway it's a 4 bed detached house although quite large, and they pay £250 per month (average) for their electric bill.

When they have the heat pump serviced there is only a very few firms locally that do domestic air source pumps, and it costs them £400 per time, needless to say they've had the system for close to 10 years now and they've serviced it twice, both times only because it broke down.

They have to heat there hot water via immersion, and they have electric shower.

It cost them around 10k at the time to install it and they dig it all out and laid the pipes themselves.

I'm sure if they stuck to having an oil burner it would have been cheaper and easier, but they can sit there smugly and say they do their bit....

She says the house is always warm but in the winter the gshp is on virtually constantly.

There are a couple of fellas in the CC who are trialing a particular manus ashp in there props

my mate has one in his new build doing the under floor heating

hot water and a couple of towel rails is via a combi

any one considering installing ashp s would be best advised to have indemnity insurance

off grid installs are another matter

Why?

Also agree heat pumps aren't great for heating water, legionnaires anyone?

likely to
Be law suits due to poor advice
With specification etc etc

legionares can be got over with immersions coming on an hour a day ??? If required

An eco-warrior promoting the installation of ASHP systems made this claim,

Air Sourced Heat Pump cool the air and this cooling helps to reduce global warming.

I've seen it retrofitted to old homes and it work ok, girl at work has an old 1908 ex farm house, gutted it when she bought it, and put 6 inches of insulation on each external wall on the inside (house is grade 2). They managed to get triple glazing and it has 2 acres of land so they dug it up and laid ground source heating ...

... She says the house is always warm but in the winter the gshp is on virtually constantly.
Interestingly I saw a guy interviewed a week or so back. He has a gshp (I've learnt a new acronym today) and was waxing lyrical about it. However he made the following comment that I found quite interesting ...

In winter it keeps the house warm, not overly warm but warm enough.

Made me wonder MMmm, exactly how warm is his house in winter and does his gshp system struggle to keep it nice and toasty. I never like my house overly warm even in depths of winter but I know others do. Maybe ashp systems are 'better' at this?

Interestingly I saw a guy interviewed a week or so back. He has a gshp (I've learnt a new acronym today) and was waxing lyrical about it. However he made the following comment that I found quite interesting ...

In winter it keeps the house warm, not overly warm but warm enough.

Made me wonder MMmm, exactly how warm is his house in winter and does his gshp system struggle to keep it nice and toasty. I never like my house overly warm even in depths of winter but I know others do. Maybe ashp systems are 'better' at this?

The woman at work advises that her radiators don't get much over 35 degrees c.

So the house does warm up eventually,

She says she has the thermostat set to 21 degrees, which is most people's idea of comfortable, and they do turn the heating off of a night, but it then comes on 3 hours earlier than they get up to make sure the house is a nice temp when they get up.. personally although it works, I wouldn't say that's an efficient way to use energy, especially when you factor in the cost of everything, and the ammount of plastic pipework that's required etc etc, personally I don't believe it's good vfm.

However some people on here feel 17 degrees is comfortable...

So who knows, think it's down to personal preference.

If I was to one day do a grand designs type build, I would build a super insulated house, one of them that requires a certain air tightness, and have some form of heat pump installed instead of gas. But reality is 99.9% of homes in the UK aren't these.

One thing the government could do is make rules for all new build houses so that they have to have this degree of air tightness along with some form of heat pump.

The lake source pump set up that has yet to come in line we’re we go

they will have a temp of 53 degrees c to work with

the house had oil which was working at a min of 70 degrees c

the house / mansion is 235 years old 3 stories

No rads are being up graded in the house

roof is to be insulated with lambs wool ???

don’t see it being a success tbh

the place is that big that they have to have 3 X ashp linked together to get the out put

2 x 500 gallon (?) may be bigger
Bufffer vessels

and. A 450 volt leccy supply

250,000 squid all in for the caper

However some people on here feel 17 degrees is comfortable...

Much depends upon what you are doing in the home, how comfortable you are with various temperatures, plus your age and health. The programmed defaults here are 16C from 23:00 through to 10:00, then 18C from 10:00 through to 23:00. I/we then manually nudge it up if/when we feel the need, but it drops back to program at the next period.

I have never known the heating fire up during the night period, probably because if I bother to check I will find it around 19.5C. I am typing this at 12:30, outdoor it is 17.2C indoors it is 20.2C. As we are up and about, we haven't felt the need to tweak the stat up - so the last time the boiler fired was yesterday evening for heating, though it has fired up earlier to top up the HW in the cylinder. On an evening, we usually nudge it up to 21C hall temperature, leaving all internal doors wide. If it does turn colder, we close the living room door, which makes that room a touch warmer.

Sponsored Links
Back