Heat pumps........yeah right !

So, is there anyone left with the opinion that we're all doomed to burn in the fires of Hell upon Earth?

We have NEVER enjoyed a stable climate.
Why don't you ask a climate scientist?

Sponsored Links
............. but it then comes on 3 hours earlier than they get up to make sure the house is a nice temp when they get up.

The thought of everyone's noisy heat pumps all flashing up at 4am is not a pleasant one. :(

In this instance it would be more beneficial to just leave the heating on permanently

So, is there anyone left with the opinion that we're all doomed to burn in the fires of Hell upon Earth?

We have NEVER enjoyed a stable climate.
Let me help you out a bit more.

Last few thousad years has seen rather a lot of stability. I appreciate the scale changes over time, but it shows clearly that over 10000 years of stability is being thrown away:
1000px-All_palaeotemps.svg.png

Sponsored Links
............. but it then comes on 3 hours earlier than they get up to make sure the house is a nice temp when they get up.

The thought of everyone's noisy heat pumps all flashing up at 4am is not a pleasant one. :(

there could be a heat store in each home.

Let me help you out a bit more.

Last few thousad years has seen rather a lot of stability. I appreciate the scale changes over time, but it shows clearly that over 10000 years of stability is being thrown away:
1000px-All_palaeotemps.svg.png

So what you are saying is that the earth has traditionally had a fairly unstable temperature, except for the last 10,000 years, but the suggestion is that the earth may be returning back to its traditional instability, which might or might not be due to human influences. Yet despite the uncertainness about the cause, humans should revert back to cave dwelling to save the earth - the doing of which might or might not help the situation at all.

So what you are saying is that the earth has traditionally had a fairly unstable temperature, except for the last 10,000 years, but the suggestion is that the earth may be returning back to its traditional instability, which might or might not be due to human influences. Yet despite the uncertainness about the cause, humans should revert back to cave dwelling to save the earth - the doing of which might or might not help the situation at all.
No. On every count.

The atmosphere is warming at an unprecedented rate. Rapid warming that's happened in the past has lead to mass extinctions. Again, perhaps you need to look up what climate scientists are saying (look up IPCC or the blog below)
Nice summary here:
https://skepticalscience.com/climate-change-little-ice-age-medieval-warm-period.htm
The cause of the warming is us. There is little or no debate about this, we know where the extra carbon in the atmophere is coming from (fossil fuels), owing to the isotope signature:
https://skepticalscience.com/co2-increase-is-natural-not-human-caused.htm

No one of any prominence is suggesting we live in caves, or even close to that.

Last edited:
I stayed in a National Trust cottage that had ASHP heating. The rads were the size of double decker buses, but never got more than luke warm. Luckily there were 2 wood burning stoves…….

I stayed in a National Trust cottage that had ASHP heating. The rads were the size of double decker buses, but never got more than luke warm. Luckily there were 2 wood burning stoves…….

That is working exactly as intended.

There is a real fundamental knowledge gap in the industry, it hasn't been helped by years of "install a giant boiler" running at 70 degrees either.

In this instance it would be more beneficial to just leave the heating on permanently
That's one of the major drawbacks with heat pumps. Heat response is very slow so they need to be on 24/7. During cold weather they'll be blowing away more or less constantly.

Incidentally, it is nearly November and we have not had our heating on yet. We are decently insulated but not excessively so.

What keeping your home so cold you've gotta burn wood to get warm?

If your radiators are double the size then you can deliver the same amount of energy with lower flow temperatures.

Water contains heat (energy) at a fixed rate. 4200 joules / kg regardless of the temp.

Either the system was not designed or installed properly or the heat loss from the building was not accurately measured.

It's not magic.

Sponsored Links
Back