Heater pipe work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kia Sedonna 2003

I have discovered that the steel pipes which feed and return water to the internal rear heater have failed and replacement cost for the 3 sections is over £300.

Is there any reason that I could not replace them with replicas formed from plumbing copper tube?

I would put an olive at the end of each section and join them with rubber pipes.

Could the coolant have a bad effect on copper pipes....I think I remember that radiators used to be made of copper.

Cheers Rob

Sponsored Links
No real problem with that one Rob - just be aware that copper work hardens and therefore doesn't like vibration. Coolant doesn't affect it, but I wouldn't know if the diameters are compatible.
There's no real issue with using long lengths of rubber hose either, so long as its of good quality and reinforced.
John :)

I think I would probably use domestic plastic pipe, I have done all my new home plumbing with it and its a joy to use because it bends. Shouldn't be to difficult to cobble up some connectors to join the original. Works fine with hot water but needs supporting if running horizontally for any distance. And its cheap!

Peter

If you use copper then I would suggest you get a cheap compression fitting the correct size for the pipe, and a spare olive, and fit it one end reasonably tight.

Remove fitting, easy on first end, now fit it other end. To remove nut you will need to cut it off but you will now have the 'nobbly bit' on the ends to help retain hoses.

If you use plastic, sorry Peter used to do plumbing work and hated plastic, then you MUST use proper inserts or the pipe will get hot and simply blow apart at the joins. Again use a compression fitting to put hose retainer on.

Peter one thing to be aware with plastic house plumbing is that if you use Hep brand it is a magnet for mice! If used for heating system it MUST be barrier type, any make, or you will live to regret it!!

Sponsored Links
I know about the mice problem, someone we know had their ceiling down because of that, they actually ate through an elbow! and yes I know about forgetting to put the inserts in.

We have a very old house with not a square wall or ceiling and some difficult to reach places so it makes the job a great deal easier, yes, I have used barrier pipe.

I wouldn't think it would be so much of a problem in a car unless its left parked up for a long time.

Peter

15mm (I assume that size will do) stainless steel pipe, 15mm compression to 1/2" bsp female, fitted with 1/2" BSP hose tail, to make up to flexibles.

Back