Heating A Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks!

My Mum has a conservatory with no means of heating at all. The house has warm-air CH, with no way (without digging up a solid concrete floor) of extending ducting into the conservatory.

It is approx 12 feet x 9 feet x 8 feet high.

I was considering something like this:

http://www.qvsdirect.com/1200W-Halogen-Heater-pr-24976.html

It that suited to the job?

An adequate rating?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Situated in a North-facing back garden. It gets reasonably warm in there, but not stifling in summer.

The heating is only for winter.

Electric heating is a must. A fan heater is the first thing I thought of, but then I remembered these halogen heaters that are quick to warm up.

It has to be free standing as there is no wall spacve to speak of to mount a heater.

Is there any type better suited to a conservatory?

Or is a bog-standard 3kW fan heater (as 123 suggests) the best bet?

Sponsored Links
A halogen heater will be the most efficient way of heating people, but it will not heat the room in the same way as a fan heater. Granted that the IR will be absorbed by objects in the room which will then heat up and give you some convection, but it will be minimal.

If you actually want to increase the air temperature, than you need a heater than works on convection, either passive such as an oil filled radiator or forced such as a fan heater.

You could also consider a wall-mount heat pump A/C unit, which will give cooling in the summer and heat in the winter, as well as being more efficient than other forms of direct electrical heating. Check that whatever you buy is rated to work in current outdoor temperatures, though...

electronicsuk is right - those radiant heaters won't really make the room any warmer.

Fan heater, convector heater, oil filled rad etc, those are what you want.

A fan heater on the floor will be quicker to get the mass of air warmed up.

Convectors/oil filled are more appropriate to leave running all the time.

The possibility of using a heat pump was why I asked about summer temperatures, but even though they are very efficient if one wouldn't be of any use for cooling then it'll take quite a while to recoup the extra cost.

And talking of cost, I hope the conservatory is very well insulated, or it'll eat money.

It is all glass, albeit double glazed. :eek:

But it only needs heating when persons inhabit it, which is not all the time.

I fitted a dimplex panel heater with built in timer, to my folks conservatory last month, I'm sure its 2KW with the option of reducing it to 1KW,
Its heating it up nicely, even in -17 degree temperatures :eek:
They set it to come on before they get up in the morning so its not like an ice block as the kitchen is joined on to the conservatory.
The size is probably around 5mx3m.

Just reread your post and noticed lack of wall space (DOH)
Is mounting a hi-level fan heater an option?

@ securespark

But it only needs heating when persons inhabit it, which is not all the time.

Well, unless they are happy to shiver for a long while, I would guess it would need at least a couple of hours pre-heating as it's not going to retain any heat.

We have a 12' x 9', (internal dims), conservatory with no doors separating it from the living room. With the C/H on in the main house we have a 2Kw oil filled radiator placed at the far end of the conservatory and its sufficient to stop any draughts caused by cold air flowing back at us. One full wall with 2 dwarf walls approx 2'-6" internal height, rockwool glass fibre between the cavity and D/G Thermal K shield windows fitted with vertical thermal blinds. Roof is 38mm white internal/brown external perspex panels. Floor is floated concrete on a 100mm polystyrene slab with double DPM then overlaid with 18mm chipboard and T&G flooring top finish. We use it all year round and even have our Christmas Dinner out there with the rest of the family. Leccy bills don't seem to be excessive at this time of the year considering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back