Heating comes on itermittantly at night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating comes on at night intermittanly, approx 10 mins at a time, despite the programmer showing the heating and hot water as off. I don't believe the hot water comes on, but am not sure. The only way I can stop this happening is to switch either the boiler or the programmer off. My question is would you consider this an electrical fault, so I need an engineer or, could it be boiler associated so I need a gas man. I feel it may be the programmer as the boiler will go off if this is swichted off, but I would very much appreciate someone's informed opinion. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly the frost stat kicking in to prevent the boiler / pipes from freezing.

Almost certainly the frost stat kicking in to prevent the boiler / pipes from freezing.

Sorry just to confirm then are you saying that this is normal and I should ignore it? I don't mean to appear stupid, just want to confirm. Thanks

Yes if a frost stat is fitted then this is normal.

You should also have a pipe stat wired in series with the frost stat, so the boiler only fires when the return pipe temperature gets really cold.

Where is the boiler fitted?

Sponsored Links
Yes if a frost stat is fitted then this is normal.

You should also have a pipe stat wired in series with the frost stat, so the boiler only fires when the return pipe temperature gets really cold.

Where is the boiler fitted?

Its in the garage and was put there by the previous owner. I must say from what you have both said it seems semsible as the garage is obviously very cold. Thanks so much for your help as I know nothing about these things, its put my mind at rest

Thats your answer then.

The frost stat will be on a wall near the boiler usually, looks like a standard room stat, but isn't. ;)

Thats your answer then.

The frost stat will be on a wall near the boiler usually, looks like a standard room stat, but isn't. ;)

Thanks, I've just found the Frost Stat, didn't realise that was what is was. Again, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back