Heating Flush - Good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told by British Gas when they replaced the pump that the central heating system could do with being flushed out and quoted £845 to do so. Is this worthwhile? Does anyone know what is involved and is it possible to DIY? many thanks

Sponsored Links
it may be, it depends upon the state of your system.

BG are very expensive.

check out the faq & search for related subjects (far right above).

if you are fond of DIY you can do a chemical clean and flush for £15 in chemicals and a few hours of your time. This will not be as good as a powerflush but may be all you need, it is very unlikely to do any harm.

If you can do simple plumbing and can afford £100 for a Magnaclean as well, you will get a lot of the black sediment out of your system, and it will prevent future black blockages since it captures the circulating black before it has the chance to settle. If you do fit one, you will be amazed and delighted at the result, I promise you.

p.s. lots of people recommend a powerflush. The fact that it earns them hundreds of pounds for half a days work might sometimes be relevant.

God knows who earns hundreds of pounds for a PF. Got to be the most boring job in the world.

I do them as standard for boiler replacements and I hate doing them. Frankly I doubt that it is worth the effort but there you go ,people want it done so I do it.

The Magnaclean is worth every penny however they now have a new filter out , the TwinTech. Supposed to be the dogs ;)

http://www.adeysolutions.co.uk/TwinTech.asp

Approx £130 trade.

Sponsored Links
............... Get a magnaclean fitted and add some X400 and hot flush it. ;)

that said a powerflush isnt going to get everything and i wouldn't personally bother if i wasn't going to put a magnaclean on afterwards.

remember that if BG do the work and you stick to a few minor points in the terms and conditions the flush is guaranteed for the the lifetime of the policy and they will reflush free of charge if it needs it, no one else will offer you that.

if you are at all handy i would try some of the lads suggestions above before you shell out for a flush, you wont lose much by trying them first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back