heating my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anybody give me some advice on insulation and heating of my garage
its a single breeze block with a asbestos roof , can i put some studding up and fill with insulation then cover with board ? and so same with roof
any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
so i can escape from the mrs and have some time tinkering with my bike and tools etc , being a single skin its bloody cold in there ,just need to know if i do clad inside with some studing and insulation would this keep some heat in or do i have to go hole hog and treat it like a converstion

I did out an outbuilding for a customer a couple of years ago and we studded the walls with 2''x2'' ,filled with 50mm polystyrene insulation and plasterboarded over. Made new celing with new wallplate & joists, insulated with rockwool & boarded over with an air gap above the rockwool. Small heater and it was toasty. ( i used to love hiding away bike tinkering myself!)(in my previous life) :cry:

Sponsored Links
You can do what you like.

Any insulation added to the walls and ceiling will be a bonus. Building a timber and insulation 'cell' within the confines of the garage is a practical solution.

However, unless you take all necessary precautions you may have trouble with condensation related damp, mould and subsequent rot.

Plasterboard isn’t ideal for lining a single skin garage, especially if there isn’t a damp membrane in the floor. The residual moisture content will be high & condensation likely to be a problem with intermittent heating & PB doesn’t like damp, even MR board will warp & crumble to dust before too long; Sterling board or WBP ply is a much better bet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back