Heating pipes - how deep below a wood floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to advise some folks about their place, so asked a new-build plumber how deep they go with plastic pipe to avoid problems due to locally heating the wooden laminate type floor. He advised having the (plastic) pipe in insulation then covered by 70mm or so of screed.

Seems a bit excessively cautious - any one ever had problems with stripy floors?

Sponsored Links
70mm is the recommended screed to avoid cracking etc.

DO a search on "radipex" will put a sample in my pocket for our next dinner

Does that mean 70,mm of screed with the pipe within a tube, and at the bottom of the screed - ie covered by half that 70? Or 70 above the tube? Needs a drawing really!

What the folk have done is make a trench in the existing screed down to the dpm, about 50mm, and put polypipe in corrugated trunking stuff. Plan is to go over the lot with about another 25mm.

So it's, er,

(ignore the dots.......)
where the O, wot is ye pipe, should be bigger

Corrugated trunking stuff is what I'm talking about, and is well insulated, Oak and laminated floors should be dried and acclimatised for up to a month at room temperature before fitting.

Additional protection could be covering the pipe with vermiculite

Sponsored Links
Ta, but I went to all that trouble to ask you about the depth!!!

I avoided the screed question on purpose because I need to ask the plasterer the best stuff to use.

An extra 25mm added to the existing will crack unless a laytex type bonding is used, personally I would fill the chase with vermiculite, and lay the floor over that.

will ask on monday and let you know

doitall said:
Oak and laminated floors should be dried and acclimatised for up to a month at room temperature before fitting.

4 to 5 days is normally sufficient. A new screed or concrete underfloor needs 30 days per inch to dry before you can safely install wooden flooring on top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back