Heating Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Last night I tried to fix my bedroom radiator - in that it is only seeming to produce heat from the middle of the radiator downwards, the radiator also has a TVR (Thermostatic rad valve?) on one end. After trying to bleed the vents at the top (which I took off completely in the end and then replaced) I ended up unscrewing the TVR completely, underneath was a black valve which was screwed in further into the end panel - so I pulled this off too and then put it all back - and hey presto!!! none of my radiators now seem to heat up!!!! despite the central heating system apparently working. I\\\'ve checked under all the radiators and it seems like none of the pipes are heating up at all! I\\\'ve read a few posts before posting on this subject but tbh some of it confused me anymore - Anybody know what I\\\'ve done? and how much will cost to get my house warm again!!!

P.S - Very useful site - this is just my first post!!!

Nick.

Sponsored Links
TBH I'm not sure, the property is old and by looking at the set up I would say apart from a few mods (Central heating unit thermostat is a Honeywell - not sure of model) here and there we are looking at at least 10 years+ I could be way out though. All of the pipework seems satisfactory and serviceable though, I have recently had my Glow Worm boiler serviced but I remember having a problem with my upstairs radiator well before the service on the boiler was carried out.
Looking at previous posts it would seem that I've been very impulsive and may of made problem worse (i.e. by removing the vents to bleed the taps and by completely removing the DraytonTRV) I'm not sure?

Sponsored Links
Before you touch any heating system you have to determine if its open vented or pressurised.

If open vented then you will usually have a hot tank and a header tank which should be checked for water about 100 mm deep.

If pressurised then it needs repressurising with the filling loop, look at FAQ section.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back