Heating summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All

Can anyone recommend the best thing to do in this situation please. Currently renovating a house and have had a summerhouse/office built

I need to get heating into my summerhouse which is around 20ft away from the house. The plan was to run pipes into the summerhouse from the house and then have one or two radiators in there.

I will be working in there so I somehow need to control the temperature in the summerhouse without the heating in the house turning on, I also need to ensure that the temperature stays above 12 degrees (lots of printing equipment that doesn't like being cold), without heating the house.
And vice versa, if im not working in there and the heating in the house is on, I won't need the heating on in the summerhouse (unless it drops below 12 degrees)

The summerhouse is properly insulated also.

SO what's the best way to do this, do I need to but programmable TRV's on all the radiators or is there a simpler solution?

The current heating system is an old boiler which is being replaced by a combi boiler - there is no wired or wireless thermostat controlling the boiler at the moment either but will be once the new combi (oil) is installed - just trying to make sure the best solution is put in whilst the house is being pulled apart.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you considered an oil filled radiator or 2? You can probably run pipes by digging a trench, not sure on depth, possible lagging and a zone valve for separation from house heating.

how do the zone valves work? WIll i still need TRV's? What kind of heat does an oil filled radiator give out and are they expensive to run in comparison to the oil central heating?

my thought
Properly insulated is it to building regs regarding heat loss or an insulated shed ??
pipes in the ground even foam protected could freeze over say a week away on holiday in heavy cold if not deep enough

Sponsored Links
You can't connect the main house heating system to it unless the summerhouse complies with Part L of the Building Regulations. You'd be better off putting a small wall split air conditioning unit in there, which can heat in the Winter and cool in the Summer.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I don’t think oil filled are that expensive to run, my parents used to use one or two in the conservatory before the addition of a radiator. @muggles idea of a wall mounted unit seems like a good option, although there might be some maintenance costs involved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back