Heating

feed and vent capped, the instructions told me to change direction of flow frequently to agitate the sludge, feed and vent come into the gravity primaries in a/c. Ideally idve put gate valves on the primaries to stop the water circulating around the h/w side but the pipes are inaccessible, to get to them I either need to remove the cylinder or knock down the side of the cupboard, if you imagine looking into the cupboard the cylinder is facing you, the flow/return are on the other side of the cylinder, i can just about touch them stretching over the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
the problem there is without isolating the hot water primaries the flush would have been ineffective.

Hi there srhawksy , only way to sort this is to start cutting into pipework to find blockage , will more than likely be on the CH flow between boiler and first radiator , have you checked pump valves are clear?
What is the temp difference between flow/return to cylinder with gravity hot water only selected.

Don't worry too much about some on here , they talk a good story but know fook all. ;) , had the same grief as you did by the same poster before I joined the CC and would of thought he would of ammended his ways by now. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi gas wizzard thanks for your post, gravity hot water is fine. The temp difference between the flow and return is huge, you can tell its not circulating as the flow is extremely hot and the return is at very best luke warm so I beleive as you say that there is a blockage some where, but to get to the pipe work would mean a lot of work and could end up being costly that's why I've come on here to see if anybody could suggest checking something that I may not have thought of and so far it seems I've checked everything I should've. When its switched to hot water the boiler is still ketteling so that would suggest there's a lot of scale built up inside the boiler? would this have an effect on the pumps ability to circulate the water as there maybe to much resistance inside the boiler? I don't know that's why I've put this problem on here.

Jammed TRVS come t mind, and one pipe systems...I have come accross a one pipe system with one radiator piped as two pipe roght next to the boiler......very confusing...

I memory serves correctly the E type uses two tappings so doubt boiler is choked if HW getting to temp within 45 min/1 hour , check those pump valves as they tend to choke up , would be looking for the blockage before thinking about a replacement boiler.

I'm reasonably sure it is a two pipe system if it was a one pipe system I would've thought that both tails would get hot to the rads with a 1 pipe and that the one pipe would get hot eventually? one of the first things I did was take the heads off the trv and checked they weren't jammed shut, seen that a lot with people who shut off their rads at the trv over the summer. A previous plumber had changed all the trvs in the past couple of years aswell.

The e type does have two tappings, good memory , makes sense to do the pipework, I'll see what the customer wants to do, the thing is he wants the boiler changed next year so it does seem a lot of money being spent to fix a system for a few months but there we are.

Stupid question, have you checked all of the lock shields are fully opened, don't take it for granted.

I had this on the first repair I went to, took me the second visit and a mis diagnosis to find it :oops:

You should check that your not pumping over with the new pump fitted on the return

the thing is he wants the boiler changed next year so it does seem a lot of money being spent to fix a system for a few months but there we are.

The blockage will still have to be sorted whether a replacement boiler is installed or not.

I think when we change the boiler he wants to do away with all the pipework in the screed as hes concerned about them leaking, so that will probably mean the blockage will be taken out of the equation :) but I understand what your saying, thanks for giving me proper replies instead of just insulting me, much appreciated gaswizzard :D

Thermal imaging camera may let you see where the heat stops, hire one?

Isolate the nearest rad to boiler, take out the top nut, attach a I/2 inch male iron to compression with a small piece of pipe, attach hose.

Run boiler and then open the flow valve, see what you get,then close and open return valve, see what you get

This may move a blockage or air

Sponsored Links
Back