Heating

As Terry says CLOSE ALL rad valves (preventing reverse flow) and attach hose to first rad , open flow and see what you get , if all is good then close valve and open lockshield , doing it this way will prove if blockage is on flow or return from boiler.

Sponsored Links
he said it not worked in ten years ,i wonder if it was ever fitted right in first place.
e type pumped heating gravity hot water. ,theres three tappings , flow connection 1 inch, return connection gravity 1 inch, return connection pump 3/2 inch, the pump should be pumping into the boiler .

return pipe from gravity should go into tapping and not be connected to pump circuit.

just a thought.

Breadandbutter, it does have three tappings now I think about it, one is the central heating flow top left, below that is the c/h return and then theres another on the top right hand side I think all with 22mm pipes into them, I cant see anything else as it all disappears behind kitchen cupboards/boxing.

Where did you connect power flusher? If you removed pump and connected it there then faulty/inefficient pump is really shouting or defective valves.

Always handy is a brass inch & half to 1/2 inch adapter so that a hose pipe can be connected to each pump valve then each valve opened and checked for good water flow. This can also release loose sludge and expel any remaining air. (Have you bled pump?)

Also check pump ports as they can be almost completely blocked with hardened sludge.

You need to think laterally a bit. You got rads getting hot with power flusher which was providing the circulating power. Then removed it and replaced the uncleaned pump and system again not working. What has changed - pump put back!!

As said pump ports can be partially blocked or impeller flutes filled with crud or even impeller not being driven by pump. All faults I have come across over and over again.

If working on heating systems one item I would suggest you carry is a spare pump. A simple replacement job for testing in cases of poor circulation.

Sponsored Links
I would like to see some sort of pipe drawing, if it hasn't worked for 10 years. Suspect an alteration thats messed up.

Is it one or two pipe system.

Are TRV's fitted and what type..

Why do the sparks have no closed forum? I guess their work is not dangerous and diyers can easily follow the advice.

It doesn't have to go in the closed forum, but there are guys in the C.C. That don't bother with the rest of the forums who know their ****, and they won't help on an open forum or don't go on them, as the op is a qualified professional he can get the help he requires there from people he knows a qualified professionals, without joe public pitting their useless 2 penneths worth in

Sparks should get their own forum aswell I reckon, then you can also what little gems you want to keep as trade secrets ;)

I think sparkies should be allowed in the CC so we can teach them how to wire boilers. ;)

I started wiring my own systems simply because I got fed up with the look on a sparks face when you ask him if he wants to do a system, they break out in a sweat and start trembling.

I had one spend two hours trying to work out how to do a wireless stat, in the end I worked it out for him, the cheeky monkey still wanted £150
Been doing my own for a year now, no looking back.

Also check pump ports as they can be almost completely blocked with hardened sludge.

You need to think laterally a bit. You got rads getting hot with power flusher which was providing the circulating power. Then removed it and replaced the uncleaned pump and system again not working. What has changed - pump put back!!

As said pump ports can be partially blocked or impeller flutes filled with crud or even impeller not being driven by pump. All faults I have come across over and over again.

Or broken off :idea: motor runs impeller don`t . What is with these gas safe gurus - All they achieve is making loads of posts we have to wade through trying to get to the nub of the problem . If some young gas reg . guy asked me to have a look @ a dinosaur system , I`d be happy to help - and get the lowdown from him on the modern stuff , and what his NVQ 3 covered vs. my ancient C+G :rolleyes:

He's changed the pump already.

Does that mean you will have to type another post :p

Sponsored Links
Back