heatslave 20/25 oil combi boiler - burner wont light!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I hope you can help. I have the above boiler problem.

About 5 weeks ago, all power to the boiler went down. With one thing and another, I didn't look into this until last weekend. The first thing I checked was the fuse in the switched spur which I found to be of the wrong rating and had blown. Fine, I thought. I replaced with a new fuse of the correct rating and switched on. Power came back - great.

I then switched the heating on and though the burner motor started, it didn't ignite? I took the burner out, cleaned it up etc and replaced it but it still doesn't light. I do hear a "click" at the point it should fire up but I cant tell whether this is just the solenoid or an actual spark. When taking out the burner, I do see oil where I'd expect (on the nozzle and around the burner/flame appature) so I don't think its a problem with the fuel - it's just not being ignited. It was all working fine before the fuse blew.

Can anyone advise me how I can test for a spark at the electrodes? Can anyone advise what the most likely cause of the problem might be - electrodes/ignition transformer/solenoid - I can then start replacing bits!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
If you have no spark then check the IGN TXFR!

Some times you can see a bulge on the case!

If wrong rating of fuse was fitted the control box could also be damaged!

Thanks for that. The ignition transformer LOOKS fine and the original fuse was a lower rating than it should have been so I hope the control box is alright.

I'll order a replacement transformer just in case but for future reference, is it possible to test it using a multimeter? Should I expect a certain resistance?

Are there any ways of checking for a spark at the electrodes which of course I cant see when the burner is in place? Can I cut off the oil and then test it when it's not in position?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wire it to a known fused supply!!

IF you have mains in you should have sparks!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back