Riello burner in Grant CombiMax V90 outdoor oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Burner runs and cuts out after 12 secs.

Electrodes clean and correct setting, oil at head, but does not fire.

Must be oil or spark problem. Could be pump, solenoid etc but how do I test for spark? Do I detach burner, hold it like a firework, press the reset button and observe? Sounds lethal!

Sponsored Links
If you listen carefully you can hear the electrodes sparking - sounds like a fast dull clicking. I wouldn't advise holding it like a roman candle, although I've seen it demonstrated that way :eek:

Did you run out of oil? If you did, the line may need more bleeding, and also bleed the pump as well. The inline filters could be blocked, the fire valve may have popped out, the solenoid may be knacked. Could be several factors. Process of elimination.

Thanks Crockett, nearly ran out oil but boiler ok for a day or so afterwards and oil flowing ok past tiger loop and fire valve. Poss sludge in pump filter I suppose - will check. Can't hear spark clicking as I too would have expected, that's why I wondered how you could safely observe or test for spark.

Sponsored Links
Point the burner in a safe direction.
Keep photo resistor in the dark.
Look down blast tube from a safe distance. 1m should be fine.
You willthen be able to observe if spark is present.

if you want to check if it is sparking, then please don't point the thing out of the burner box and 'look' at it from any distance UNLESS you remove the solinoid coil from the oil pump, then it will not be able to get oil to the nozzle, thus not ignite!

its very dangerous to tell anyone to pull a oil burner out of its correct place and ignite it!

if you want to check if it is sparking, then please don't point the thing out of the burner box and 'look' at it from any distance UNLESS you remove the solinoid coil from the oil pump, then it will not be able to get oil to the nozzle, thus not ignite!

its very dangerous to tell anyone to pull a oil burner out of its correct place and ignite it!

As there is a Pre purge,the spark will be seen long before any oil is released.

As the burner is NOT firing I fail to see what your point is.

I have personally used this method for 30years without damage to my facial hair!

Ps, It's not a four king flame thrower we are dealing with.

The pre-purge or pre-ignition phase should last 12 seconds. Then for the subsequent 5 seconds, the ignition phase, the fuel pump solenoid and the ignition should be energised together. Normally it is only after this 17 second period you will get a lock -out if ignition does not occur. If you are getting lock-out after 12 seconds then that's before the ignition and fuel stage anyway.
I think that I would check that you are getting 50 volts ac from the generator that is in the motor. It is this 50 volts that powers the Control Box. Check across the white and black wires that come from the motor to the Control Box terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back