Heavy duty mesh covered door seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A wheelchair bound friend of mine has a front door frame that tends to get hit with the wheelchair from time to time. Sticky backed foam draught seal won't last long and the current strip of it is dropping off - but I notice on the top and the hinge side of the door, what I assume is the original V shaped seal for the door. That stuff is covered by a very fine mesh - giving it a shiny metallic appearance and seems to be as tough as old boots. Is it possible to get that sort of heavy duty seal still? - all I can seem to find is the standard foam stuff. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is it a plastic door?

There is (was) a very good springy metal strip, for wooden doors, in phosphor-bronze.

Sponsored Links
You need to post a picture of what you mean
Sorry, didn't take one at the time. I figured it would be easy to find (really should know better :giggle: ). Will get a photo on next visit if needs be.
Is it a plastic door?

There is (was) a very good springy metal strip, for wooden doors, in phosphor-bronze.
Construction is a bit unusual for a domestic door - it seems to be steel sheet on a timber frame.

Door jam protection it's called.

Or I seen at trade show
Ram Board Door Jamb Edge Protection - 91.44cm (36") (36") https://amzn.eu/d/e4hof2s
No - not that.

Since found something that looks very much like it - but the old seal on the door doesn't look quite as thick/bulky as this, and it isn't clear to what degree this seal will compress. I'll need to dig further.

Seal.jpg

I used to have an old family house where the bronze strip was fitted in the 1950s, and still fine after 70 years. I found a roll of it in the shed.

It is better left unpainted which prevents sticking.

Turns up occasionally

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
These are the seals in question. When the door is open, they are pretty substantial and actually uncompress to around 20mm from the timber frame. At the side of the door where the original seal is missing, when the door is closed, there is a 10mm gap where the original seal would have compressed and sealed - and that of course is way too big a gap for any modern foam seals to handle. The door is actually faced with steel. So I'm thinking on balance, it probably is the sort of seal I've already found but any other thoughts/confirmations appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Seal 1.jpg
    Seal 1.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Seal 2.jpg
    Seal 2.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Seal.jpg
    Seal.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 25
That seal in the frame looks like a Schlegal aquamac 21, its a plastic coated foam seal, its a early form of composite door in that its steel faced both sides around a timber core, quite common on 80/90s new build and social housing, IG doors made loads of these, might even have IG stamped on the hinges
Screenshot_20231015_181031_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
@crank39 Just googled it and I think you're spot on. It had something printed on the sealing face but it was so faint, I couldn't make sense of it - and I see QLON in some of the photos I've now found. The social housing makes sense in this case too. What threw me was the bits of foam that aren't missing had worn on the sealing face giving it a shiny almost metallic appearance.

That's me sorted now I think - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back