Heavy shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating the bathroom and installing a new shower cubicle. It's a 1970's bungalow and the bathroom floorboards have been replaced at some time with chipboard flooring. The weight of the shower is 400kg (10mm glass) and the shower tray comes with five adjustable legs, so the load is spread over five points over a 900mm by 900mm area, four corners and one centre.

This is quite a heavy shower and I'm wondering if the chipboard floor will be strong enough. I have been using Hardibacker 6mm cement board as a subfloor for the tiled areas and I'm wondering whether to cover the shower area chipboard with this to add extra strength.

Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
On legs? I thought a shower was meant to sit on the floor - ease of access and all that?

100kg per leg once a person is standing in the shower seems excessive, and it would be better with proper timber below the tray rather than chipboard.
An additional problem is that if chipboard gets wet or even damp, it's strength is compromised.

However if the floor is a suspended one, why is the shower tray on legs at all?

The tray has the option of (a) being placed directly on a flat surface or (b) being raised on legs. I had planned option (a), but there is very limited space under the floor and as luck would have it, wherever I place the waste outlet, it's always directly above a joist! so (b) seems a better option. I'm thinking it might be better to remove a section of chipboard and replace with 18mm plywood.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back