Heidleberg cement, any issues with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm into a new build and using Heidelberg cement, because that's what my supplier supplies, and I'm having some mixed results with the quality of the mortar.
Some mixes seem to vary quite a bit from one course to another and some mixes seem noticeably weaker.
Before you ask, I am fairly au fait with a mixer, having spent the past 40 years on the trowel. I use the same mix for all brick & blockwork and haven't come across this variation before, nor such problems.

Sponsored Links
Drying out due to the weather and suction from the bricks and blocks will vary the apparent mortar strength. As will pointing, water, plasticiser and mixing.

Are you gauging the mix?

Did you know that the mix should be different for internal and external leafs?

I use the same basic mix whatever. Sometimes beef it up a tad for internal areas that may need it, but never that much. I'm aware of the vagaries of weather etc., just never really experienced such a wide variation even within the same mix. I think this is what used to be Castle cement, don't recall any issues with it before though. I always damp down dry bricks, and these are dry & getting dryer by the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back