Height issues with lintel and wall plate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ihave used search and came across the following post......
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=227601
I have a simalar problem,
i need to span a 1.5m opening and have only got height to allow for a 100x70 lintel and then put on the wall plate which will be supporting the rafters of the roof,
would it be ok to use a length of 150x100 c16 timber for the lintel and wall plate in one? the width of the extension internally is 3.10m.
so if i got a length of c16 timber 150x100 x3.10m would this be ok to use?
also as in the post i pasted above i have a low slope roof so need to keep height above the door to be nomore than stated.
Thanks for any help.

jsmithy.

Sponsored Links
The timber lintel is likely to be strong enough, as long as you can prove that shrinkage and fire will not be an issue.

Thanks noseall,
how would i know if shrinkage will be an issue?
the room was originally a bathroom with shower, and i have put french doors on the rear the room will then be used as a lounge area with tv dvd etc,
Dont think the fire issue is a problem(not sure about this) .
would it be ok to use a 100 x 70 prestressed then 100x70 wall plate instead as this would allow the roof to stay the same.
Thanks!

jsmithy

100mm x 70mm pcc lintels are fine up to a metre with standard loads.

Spanning 1.5m directly beneath the roof structure with a 70mm thick concrete lintel is a different matter. However you may be ok as long as you use it with a 100mm x 100mm angle iron to lend support.

The most sensible person to speak to is either a building control officer or a structural engineer.

Sponsored Links
Cheers,
i agree that i could speak to bco/structural engineer and may end up doing so but i thought that this problem may have been encountered before and i may have got a solution to it,
I will thank you for taking the time to give some advice on this.

jsmithy

Thanks noseall,
how would i know if shrinkage will be an issue?
the room was originally a bathroom with shower, and i have put french doors on the rear the room will then be used as a lounge area with tv dvd etc,
Dont think the fire issue is a problem(not sure about this) .
would it be ok to use a 100 x 70 prestressed then 100x70 wall plate instead as this would allow the roof to stay the same.
Thanks!

jsmithy

why not use a 100 deep litel and a normal 50 mm plate...

Hi geraint,
cant find any 100x100 concrete lintel anywhere local merchants only sell 4x3 or 6x4 prestressed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back