Helicopter with static blades

Sponsored Links
Could only happen if the frames per second, of the video camera, matched exactly the rotor speed.
But as I understand it, the rotor constantly changes speed in order to maintain control.
I suppose it would be possible to electronically sync. the camera to the rotor speed, but why would you do this...... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Its not one of those helium filled fakes like the vauxhall astra that was on top gear a while ago?

i wonder if its suspended from another helicopter or crane with the cable hidden

I think its made out of cake by the Skoda team and hung from a crane....... ;)

its one of them choppers that has "vertical lift" technology

like a harrier

:)

your can see the big air intakes just under the rotor and the outlet at the bottom

the back rotor is spinning for stablisation

corgiman said:
its one of them choppers that has "vertical lift" technology

like a harrier

:)

your can see the big air intakes just under the rotor and the outlet at the bottom

the back rotor is spinning for stablisation

i had simmilar thought but the"vent " was to far forward for ballance
you would also need 2 as the back rotor could only stop the back end turning left or right
as in it cant stop the back lifting or dropping

you would also need adjustable thrusters to change direction

trazor said:
Could only happen if the frames per second, of the video camera, matched exactly the rotor speed.

I second that as the most likely option. If the pilot set revolutions to the correct speed based on camera frame rate this would be the effect obtained. He would still have control by altering the pitch of the blades.

I think its being carried by a Chinook and the lifting wires have been edited out. There is a video on YouTube of such a lift ;)

Hey up 45p, or was it 96d ? ;)

In the mil vid, the characteristic 'thwacking' of the main rotor can be heard, whilst the blades appear stationary.

Another...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFCsFTnW5y4

Note the flickering lamps in the fore-ground...

Synch'ed camera to rotor speed ?

:cool:

bernardgreen said:
trazor said:

I second that as the most likely option. If the pilot set revolutions to the correct speed based on camera frame rate this would be the effect obtained. He would still have control by altering the pitch of the blades.

if that was the case we would see the blades move along there own central access !!!
i dont think they moved at all :D ;)

Its not real..I have been trying to find the links to lots of these.
Tom cat dog fights
flying 747
I thought they were on utube but cant find any some are very good, there is one with a dog fight & REAL commentary.

Diyisfun said:
Its not real..

I think you will find it is real.
The you tube video posted by empip, shows it quite a distance away, with static blades.
This effect can be clearly seen in old western films, where the stage coach wheels appear to sometimes stop or even rotate backwards.

On a slightly different note, when I was at school, we were shown the effect a strobe light has on movement.
We were sat in a darkened room in front of a fan, and a strobe light was adjusted to make the fan blades appear stationary.
It was quite weird to feel wind from the fan whilst the blades appeared static.

Sponsored Links
Back