Hello All - New to Electrics - And loving it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, just found this forum and in the nick of time i think given i have just taken my first steps into the world of DIY. Until now my good lady wife had put a complete ban on any form of DIY and me in the same room ! But after a conversation with my neighbour who said '' If you can wire a plug, you can change over a socket and light switch'. Well i may be bad......... but even i have the skill set to wire a plug. So off i went... with 3 sockets 2 light switches and one dimmer under my belt i am still here. But i have one question.... i have found that one light switch (metal box, with metal switch) has the earth connected to the box on a strap, do i need to extend this to the switch or can i assume that if the switch is connected to the box (by the screws), that it is then earthed ? Or could this be my downfall and will i now prove my wife right and blow something up ? Possibly me ! :cry:

Sponsored Links
You must provide a strap from the earth terminal on the switch to the earth terminal at the back of the metal box. I'd suggest that you also move the earth wire from the metal box directly to the switch, so you have:

incoming earth wire goes to earth point on the switch, earth 'strapping' wire goes from earth terminal on the switch to the earth terminal on the metal back box.

...although this is not essential. Also, make sure that the earth wire is covered with yellow/green insulation sleeving except where it makes contact with the earth terminal. Finally make sure that the live and switched-live wires have a red sleve over them if the insulation isn't red (one of the two wires will probably be black).

Buy a good DIY electrical book, such as the "Which? Book of Wiring", and read it. Minor DIY electrical work such as changing accessories (sockets, roses, switches and the like) is perfectly safe as long as you have taken time to understand how to undertake the work. Never attempt an electrical project unless you are sure you know what you are doing, that your work conforms to the regulations and you know how to test the work. You asked the right questions so with a little research you should make a good job of it.

--
Michael

Thank you for that, i will take that on board, and i will get myself a copy of the book, after all... i like life and intend to be here for a few years to come !

Regarding moving the incoming earth wire - most plastic switches don't have an earth terminal on the switch, so the incoming earth wire goes to the earth terminal on the metal box in this case.

Re-reading the last bit of my post it sounds a little like I was trying to scare you off. That wasn't my intention - just to make you dilligent ;)

All the best,
--
Michael

Sponsored Links
It is also well worth getting a copy of the brown edition (2004), of the IEE on-site guide, as it has valuable information about the IEE Regulations, in a simplified format, adequate for a domestic home like yours.

See the IEE website for details - it's well worth the £15 investment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back