Hello, Baxi 105E dripping water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 4 year old Baxi 105E. I went to tidy up the cupboard it's located in and was met by the smell & sight of mould on the floor. I traced the water to a small leak coming from the left front corner of the Baxi, from around the area where the diagnostic / temperature LEDs are located.
It's running fine & producing hot water and warm radiators.
Is there anything I should look for before calling a plumber out.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply, is there a way I can check or identify this?
I could take a photo and add it here if that would help
Thanks

yeah ok. you'll need to remove the front casing. two screws on the control panel. then lift the case up.

Sponsored Links
Its not worth bothering with photos as thats almost certainly what it is.

It takes about 10 minutes to replace and probably costs about £7.

Its one of the easier jobs for us but we still charge our standard diagnostic fee but that covers a basic service as well.

Tony

I would get it sorted sooner rather than later.

I went to a wet house the other week where that said component had completely rotted and snapped off (only three years old).

Hi, update on this problem.
I think this leak is on the hot water side of the boiler as the water leaking out is totally clear rather than the murky stuff that comes out when I drain the radiators down and the radiators are not losing pressure.
Is the flow switch gland nut a DIY job or would I need to a get a qualified person in
Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Undo 2 screwes at front top of plastic bit, slid front metal panel up then pull away, watch it as plastic bit will drop down, lower it carefully making sure no leeds come undone.

Look left side of boiler large brass manifold body (diverter valve) largest disk sheped part facing you with a ring of cheese head screws all rounf circumference. Is water coming from the hole in the middle of it? This is the dhw flow mechanism.

If it's top one further back smaller this is the primary flow mechanism.

Service kit, don't know if it includes silicon lubve, the alpha Ocean one does, you get a diaphragm a gland an o ring and a tube of silicon lube with the alpha 240 280 service kit. Same boiler.

Alpha discovered it in Italy and marketed it in the UK, Baxi bought the Italian company but Alpha had sole rights to sell it in the UK so BAxi and Alpha came to a financial compromise and Alpha got another Italian manufacturer to make their boilers.

I love these old things though, have to service many on Alpha service contract and they are all in excellent condition and flue gas analysis is better than many modern brand new boilers.

Happen to have this handy:
Baxi-diverter2-.gif

The red bit on the left, probably. Tap water.

If its the purplish bit, tough, you'll have to buy a whole diverter unless you have a box full of identical bits from other boilers' service kits like we have!

It's definately coming out of the red thing in the middle of that diagram.
A plumber came round 3 weeks ago, said he'd be back in two days and now isn't answering his phone.
I was wondering if it's the kind of thing I could do without too much bother, I've fitted radiators etc in the past.
Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it as money is tight at the moment.

Piece of cake - if you can do it.
Manuals at partsarean.com/baxi.

You have to paint everything the right colours though........:cool:

You have to buy it at a boiler spares merchant and Parts Center are the most plentiful. You can also buy it on line but often have a relatively high delivery charge for a small part.

Tony

1. Part number is 5111137
2. You also say your water is dirty when you drain your radiators down. You need to address this problem as well...i.e powerflush :D

poxi said:
1. Part number is 5111137
2. You also say your water is dirty when you drain your radiators down. You need to address this problem as well...i.e powerflush :D

When the guy fitted the central heating, he put an inhibitor in the system. Two days later it sprung a leak and after he'd re-soldered the joint he just filled it with normal water. Since then, the heat exchanger matrix (?) has corroded through and now this. Wouldn't use them again.

Thanks for all the help
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back