help a half-wit replace broken built-in ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gotta replace my built-in ceramic hob which basically blew up on me and wondered how easy or otherwise it would be? What are the chances of burning myself to a frazzle without expert guidance?

the existing hob and built in oven (also recently replaced) both terminate in a wiring box behind the oven with four fat grey cables (see the level of my ignorance!) , which connect to the standard cooker-type socket.

Sponsored Links
poliomaldini said:
What are the chances of burning myself to a frazzle without expert guidance?

I am sure you don't need expert guidance to burn yourself to a frazzle. Just cannot see why you would want to. :LOL:

Easy job. Take cables out of old hob, reconnect them to new hob. Dont forget to turn power off at consumer unit first. Best turn off whole house, just in case.

The hob MAY have 2 live connections. Simply bridge these together. It may come with a piece of copper or aluminium for this purpose.

Dont think this job comes under part p as you are replacing existing equipment like for like.

Oh, and you will need access under the hob, to fasten the clips to the underside of the worktop.

crafty1289 said:
Dont think this job comes under part p as you are replacing existing equipment like for like..
  1. At the risk of awakening FWL_sloppy, everything "comes under" Part P, i.e. the requirements for safe work and adequate documentation apply to all domestic installation work. Not everything is notifiable, however.
  2. Whereabouts in the actual law, as opposed to any of the unofficial and usually incorrect guidelines have you seen any reference to "like for like"?
  3. Whether or not it was what the cretins at the ODPM intended, there is no doubt that what they have done with the legislation is to make this notifiable, as it is a fixed appliance.

Sponsored Links
Please accept my humble apologies, ban-"i worship part-p"-sheds ;)

Think i might change my username to "ban-part-p" ;) ;)

The fact that this guy cannot even change his own hob, a pretty straightforward job, is a joke. I thought like-for-like replacement was allowed, or is this just for accessories, such as sockets and switches?

EDIT: who is this FWL_sloppy fellow, dont think ive seen him on here. :rolleyes:

crafty1289 said:
Please accept my humble apologies, ban-"i worship part-p"-sheds ;)
No I bl**dy don't...

The fact that this guy cannot even change his own hob, a pretty straightforward job, is a joke.
Nobody is laughing.

Except of course all the NICEIC/ECA/NAPIT/ELECSA/UTCAA guys who are getting all the electrical work (which is rightfully theirs, of course) instead of kitchen fitters.

I thought like-for-like replacement was allowed, or is this just for accessories, such as sockets and switches?
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back