Help and Advice Needed for Neighbour and I

Sponsored Links
Don't you need planning permission for anything over 30cm high? or is that just decking/structures?

Haven't a clue, I am not worried about the decking - just the gravel / slabs etc and my fence going rotten. Interesting point.

It needs a kerb edge to retain the gravel. No good using a close boarded fence as a stop.

They need to use a sleeper or concrete gravel board. Leave a gap to your fence or cut fence and position a gravel board underneath

Sponsored Links
The gravel will (or should) let the water escape, but you can't do any maintenance to your fence, so they should have chatted with you first, removed your fence, taken the retaining wall round the side, and then put your fence back on top of the new wall.

No you don't need a retaining wall, and then your fence, you need the "retaining" wall to be built underneath your fence, as the height of the wall would require 2 concrete gravel boards. If the retaining wall is a couple of inches away from your fence, then you'd need to take the off to do any maintenance, and the lack of airflow will rot it faster.

This will cause and has already caused issues with fence.

Exactly. We obviously see things differently, as I wouldn't worry about putting my fence above someone else's wall, but it'll need an integrated design to accommodate the posts. I'd expect them to pay for, and do all the work (and throw in a case of good wine), but as it would make all ongoing maintenance easier, to me, it's the most pragmatic approach.

You'd need about a 3" gap to give it a good airflow, but sods law says that rubbish will drop down the gap at some stage, and that'll rot the bottom of you're fence. Your neighbour isn't going to bother keeping the gap clean, and you won't be able to, so I view this as a recipe for disaster, because as you say, you won't have easy access to the fence for repairs.

Otherwise you have to consider that the work they are doing as detrimental to your fence, and contact environmental health to ascertain help resolve the situation.

He's edidted all his posts, maybe the neighbour is a member on here?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back