Help Appreciated! Hall/Landing Light, Pics included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any help with this would be appreciated, i have checked the wiki and this is covered obviously but I've had no joy so far...

First pic is the downstairs switch, currently the downstairs light only turns on and off nothing works upstairs. The wiring on the left of pic is wired to downstairs light and the right hand side goes to landing switch. Strapper is currently between 1 WAY downstairs and COM Upstairs (having followed wiki?!).

View media item 71168
Ive included downstairs rose so you can see, there was no red tape to help indicate the switched live downstairs, very helpful!

View media item 71169

Upstairs...

The red wire into the COM is definitely the individual wire (no black in the attached sheathing), Ive checked the rose and its definitely going in with the live to the light.

View media item 71173
The upstairs rose..

View media item 71174
Any help would been greatly appreciated to this inherited problem, i dont want abuse, im trying to fix something i didnt cause!

Thanks in advance of any help and any further information required i will post.. ;)

Sponsored Links
So what work has been done to cause this?

Switches replaced?
Have the roses been touched?

No, i wish! I've looked at the back of other switches, seem same COM, L1, L2?

Have got a meter unfortunately.

The downstairs works fine on/off so wiring to right of picture is def to the landing and upstairs switch the COMMON red is the individual wire, back to Live in the rose.

Sponsored Links
You say inherited problem, so upstairs light has never during your occupancy worked via the downstairs switch?
Does it work via upstairs switch?

Check the bulb is ok upstairs first.

If it were me I would turn the power off and goto the upstairs rose and try connecting the brown to the other red.

You may get the light stuck on all the time.
Change it back if it does that

Have you checked the lamp/bulb?
If you have multimeter test for voltage at the upstairs light and also at the switch, report back with your findings.

Just moved the brown into the other red, light on permanently as suggested may happen, cannot switch off from either switch,

bulb is definitely working! :) ...

You could remove the upstairs switch and join all wires together and see what happens

Light on constantly?

Check that it stays on when using the other gang for downstairs switch, report on finding and but it back we can confirm woking lamp and voltage present.
We could now do with finding out where the perm lives are at upstairs switch.

Hi, i would check the connection of the looped feed at the ground floor switch making sure the insulation is stripped back.

You appear to have no live feed to the upstairs switch.

Regards,

KA

You also need to check there is a neutral at the upstairs light.

WARNING, there is a good chance the neutral comes from a separate circuit, so make sure everything is completely isolated both starting work.

Just moved the brown into the other red, light on permanently as suggested may happen, cannot switch off from either switch,

bulb is definitely working! :)

There is a neutral connection.

Regards,

KA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back