Help appreciated, problems after restoring pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

We've got a Valiant combi heater boiler, that stopped producing hot water from the taps or in the raidators yesterday.

After checking, we found there had been a small leak at one of the radiators, and that the pressure on the guage had dropped to 0.

So, have restored pressure using the silver fill loop as recommended, and it's now reading 1.2 or so on the gauge.

However, we still aren't getting hot water - or rather, we're getting a very short burst of hot water, which then goes cold.

How long does it take for the system to be in working order again after refilling the pressure? Is there I need to do to get it working again after refilling the pressure?

Or is there something more seriously wrong with the system rather than the pressure having dropped to 0?

Many thanks,

Kristian

Sponsored Links
The lack of hot water may be a coincidental fault. Which Vaillant boiler is it? If you don't know the model number describe the control panel - colours, dials, displays, etc.

Extra info - the flow thermometer is reading the minimum tempoerature on the guage (below 30 degrees)- I'm guessing this isn't right!

Sponsored Links
It could be a diaphragm problem, or possibly a diverter valve/flow switch problem. I'm a bit rusty on T3Ws, but I think the first thing to check is the operation of the diaphragm in the water section. To observe this you need to open the control box, so I need to ask if you feel competent to do this.

a sine18 T3?

Try the heating does it work?

Does the burner stay alight with a hot tap fully open?

You may have trapped air in the the boiler, a safety system prevents the boiler lighting unless water free from air is circulating.

The heating doesnt work at all either, and the flame in the boiler is on constantly.

Chris - re. opening the control box, I'm a bit nervous about going into the loft and having a look round tbh, as our stepladders aren't big. Was hoping it would be something I could fix from the control panel itself...

Do you mean the small pilot flame visible through the sight glass is on (ie alight) or do you mean the whole burner is alight.

I think from memory there is an overheat reset button on a black box behind the pump - may have tripped due to insufficient pressure (don't have manual with me)

GasGuru, would that reset button be up in the loft behind the water tank itself?

Not entirely sure where the pump is located I'm afraid... :(

kristian said:
I'm a bit nervous about going into the loft
Who said anything about going into the loft? You seem to have a phobia about it! Not that it matters as far as this boiler is concerned.

All we're suggesting is that you check certain things in the boiler, but by the sound of it you're not really mechanically minded. It might be best if you call in a heating engineer, but try to find someone who is familiar with this type of boiler. Gasguru's idea about the overheat overheat stat needing resetting is a good one.

chrishutt said:
kristian said:
I'm a bit nervous about going into the loft
Who said anything about going into the loft? You seem to have a phobia about it! Not that it matters as far as this boiler is concerned.

All we're suggesting is that you check certain things in the boiler, but by the sound of it you're not really mechanically minded. It might be best if you call in a heating engineer, but try to find someone who is familiar with this type of boiler. Gasguru's idea about the overheat overheat stat needing resetting is a good one.

Sorry, I'm just grumpy not having had a shower today properly... :)

On the actual boiler itself, I have switched it off completely, including switching out the pilot light using the red button, waiting a while and then restarting the entire system.

I'm just not exactly sure where I should be looking for this reset switch - I can;t find anything on the actual boiler that matches the description here, and the only other part of the system I know of is in the loft abover the boiler.

I'm definitely not very technically minded, but hvaing problems contacting my landlord to get this fixed and desperately needing hot water!

Thanks for the advice,

Kristian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back