Help choosing a new boiler please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, my 17 year old boiler is on its last leg.
In the past year I changed the diverter valve and heat exchanger (I think that's what it was, looks like a small radiator).
Now it's giving an intermittent fault and developed a slow drip from the pressure release pipe outside.
2 plumbers said that changing bits on older boilers is never guarantee that they will last and maybe it would be wiser to just change it for another Worcester bosch so to make installation easier and cheaper, apart from the 10 or 12 year guarantee.
They don't know each other but they both said the same thing and both quoted around £2800.
One of them suggested to go with a Worcester bosch accredited installer so to get a cheaper price.
I looked into it and indeed it is cheaper.
But before calling them for advice, I would like your advice on which boiler to go for.
My house has 1 bathroom on first floor and a shower room in the loft conversion.
There are 10 radiators in total (3 of them are towel radiators 1 on each floor if it makes any difference).
5 radiators on ground floor, 3 on first floor, 2 on loft conversion.
At the moment I have a Greenstar 28i junior and worked well until a couple of years ago when it started giving trouble.
A little more power for heating and hot water would be nice.

Given all of the above, which boiler would you go for between the following:
1. Greenstar 4000 30Kw
2. 32 CDi Compact
3. Greenstar Style 35Kw
4. Greenstar 8000 Life 30Kw
5. Your suggestion

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could opt for a new one, but have you considered a fixed price repair from Worcester?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but it's £300.
That's why the plumbers suggested to put a stop to the repairs and replace it.
I spent £900 in the past 2 years for several repairs.
I feel that they might be right, that's why I wanted advice on which boiler to go for.
Thanks

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I’d personally go for another 28Kw combi then if it’s served you well. Plenty of engineers will all give a different opinion, I can’t comment on the newer type Worcester as I haven’t seen them up close nor have I worked on them. My preference would probably be a cheaper boiler with a long warranty such as an Ideal or Main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back