Help! Cracking Skirtings!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The painted skirtings and facings have all appeared to have shrunk and thus cracked?

What options do I have? Use painters caulk and just touch it up?

How would I avoid this? Paint the skirtings with a rough coat then wait a month till they crack, to then put the finsihing coat on? :eek:

i think its partly because the internal walls in the house are brickwork but not through to the founds, they just rest on wooden tracks so theres movement in them, compared to walls that go right through the floor to foundations.

dscf0002ue5.jpg

Sponsored Links
It will be a ver, very laborious job caulking it all and touching it all up.

Is this something that only happens once? The paint shrinks the wood, and so just one touch up should be the final work on it?

Ive got more rooms to do but im tempted to do a couple of coats then wait a few weeks till it all shrinks and settles, then caulk it and do the final coats.

Sponsored Links
kriss_boy said:
It will be a ver, very laborious job caulking it all and touching it all up.

Is this something that only happens once? The paint shrinks the wood, and so just one touch up should be the final work on it?

Ive got more rooms to do but im tempted to do a couple of coats then wait a few weeks till it all shrinks and settles, then caulk it and do the final coats.

the wood shrinks when the moisure content reduces
assuming your timber was new it should have been acclimatised before use to allow the mosture content to match the room its used in
once it reaches the minimum moisture content it wont shrink any more

other things that can cause problems is if you fit skirting to a plasterd wall that hasn't had time to dry then the skirting will slow up the drying prosses

it will also take longer to dry if you paint the wood

as said above the gap in your picture is the architrave block as timber only shrinks accross the grain not along its length

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back