Help designing Hinged shelve 4 racing cockpit fold up wheel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically i have a steering wheel which connects to my PC. I attach it too my desk using the clamps on the steering wheel but the cables are everywhere and its in the way of the keyboard. its awkward and annoying to have to move it around.
Therefore i have decided to Fasten the Steering wheel ann Gearstick to a shelve. :p

my idea is that the shelve sticks on a hinge kind of thing underneathe the desk. and when its not being used i can fold it down sorta thing under the desk away from my legs.
When it is being used ofc i can flip it out from underneathe the desk.

So far i have managed to get a nice chunk of wood (from a Shelf :p) and sawn it down to the right size.

My problem is that i dont know what kind of equipment il need, as the hinge needs to be able to lock at the positions (under the desk or Out at the right level.)
im not very experienced, infact im 15. I am determined to get this working as itl look so cool. And be so useful.
Any tips, help would be very appreciated.

Here i have provided quite a few pictures to help (sorry about the really flawless pic quality :mad: )

Overall look:
spa0504dj9.jpg

A bit closer:
spa0511pl9.jpg

Under the desk:
spa0512wq7.jpg

More:
spa0513nv8.jpg

Last on desk:
spa0514kr5.jpg

The following photos are of the shelf i sawn, with the steering wheel attached to it.

Full view:
spa0505cc9.jpg

More:
spa0506ls3.jpg

Last:
spa0508qy7.jpg

I think you get the idea ;)
well i spent quite alot of time making this post, and i tried my best to be as informative as i can, i dont think theres a point in telling measurements. cus my putting that means i want you to the math for me.

Thatl do.
luke.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that you'll actually have leg room under there, I can see it getting in the way of your knees, which will soon become an annoyance and might end up damaging it.

it will be more out the way if the wood hooks on the back wall in the knee well with the steering wheel pointing up under the desk top

i already looked at that, there is enough leg room and knee room, especially when the wheel is pointing up while the wood is on the back.
But how would i have it so it flips out from underneathe,
what kind of hardware, hinges or w.e would i need.

as i am very unexperienced i havnt a clue how i will do this.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo iceman there is no mechanism that would solve your task
especialy as the stearing eheel would need to flip in 2 dimensions to be the right way round on top

also if your anything like my son it will have to be bolted down so not sutable for a track system

i was kinda thinking like a long piece of wood to just go under the shelf to support it kinda like an anchor.
i can just flip out the shelf and put this piece of wood on the floor to hold it up.

I'm no expert here but I think I get the drift of what you're looking for and hopefully some of the guys will say whether it would work or not.

What about putting hinges on the back of the shelf that you have the steering wheel attached to and then attaching them to the underside of the front of the desk. Then, when you want the steering wheel out of the way, it folds back under the desk - and then you have the problem of what would hold it under the desk. I can't think of any kind of hook that would hold it up. The only thing I can think of (which isn't gonna be really perfect or anything) is to maybe use something like wardrobe rail and the cup holders that come with it. Put two of the holders on either side of the steering wheel side of the shelf and put another two underneath (I'll explain in a minute). Cut the wardrobe rail stuff to the right height to prop the shelf up and out of the way under the desk (you'd probably need to put some kind of nylon dome shaped end cap on the bottom to help it glide when you slide it in and also to protect the flooring.). The reason for the cups on the underside is so that when you pull the shelf out and up, you can use the rail as legs to support it when you're using it.

LIke I say, I don't know if that's feasible or even if you understand what I'm trying to say. I was gonna try and draw a picture of what I meant but then gave up.

Hopefully somebody will say if it's a feasible idea or a totally cr@p idea or be able to improve on it slightly better than my Bodgitt and Scarper attempt!!! :LOL: :LOL:

sounds alright.
i thought about that but there actually wont be enough leg room for sure when its away if i do it like that.
was kinda thinking of something that rotates the shelf around an angle so when the shelf is away its further back.

I am coming to the view that instead of a pivoting shelf, which seems difficult to build, you will do better with a method of hanging your new shelf onto the front of the dressing table and lifting it off when not in use. there are some strong and inexpensive Cabinet Hangers or folding brackets available that would do the trick. You would treat the dressing table as a wall and fix the shelf onto it.

Otherwise have a pull-out shelf under the worktop and put the wheel on top. I see you have a drawer runner under there, you can buy drawer kits at B&Q, and one of the versions fixes to a piece of laminated MDF (they intend it to be a drawer bottom, but you could use it as a shelf)

Drawers have to be accurately cut to fit the gap, but DIY sheds will sometime reluctantly cut laminated board to size for you when you buy it there.

Sketch out your plans and check the measurements before cutting.

These drawer runners are only a few pounds and B&Q have something similar http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11859...awer-Fittings/Bottom-Fix-Drawer-Runners-450mm

You will end up with something like this pull-out chopping board (but without buying their expensive board) http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26607...tings/Cabinet-Storage/Pull-Out-Chopping-Board

These folding brackets are about £20 a pair :( http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62799...ts/Adjustable-Folding-Bracket-300mm-Pack-of-2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back