Help - dodgy plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some plastering done - a whole bedroom and some patching elsewhere throughout the house.

On examining the work it seems quite patchy. In places it is silky smooth, in others it seems a little rough. In the corners of the room there are what look like brush lines. In places I can see the outline of scrim tape. In some places I am certain I will have to make use of filler - scratches, wrinkles, what have you.

This can't be normal, surely? I haven't paid the plasterer yet, but I'm not certain getting him back in will do the job. Can the blemishes be sanded out or is that a no-no?

Sponsored Links
On examining the work it seems quite patchy. In places it is silky smooth, in others it seems a little rough. In the corners of the room there are what look like brush lines. In places I can see the outline of scrim tape. In some places I am certain I will have to make use of filler - scratches, wrinkles, what have you.

This can't be normal, surely?

No it's not right if he's any good!

yes blemishes can be sanded, but this should not be your responsibiliy.

i admit that, once the plaster is completely dry, blemishes are easier to spot. but these should be no more than very minor faults that may even be covered by paint.

some plasterers are a little heavy on the old corner brushing, particularly on those jobs where the plasterer has to hit all the walls in a day. a twicher or corner trowel is useful when plastering wet angles, or a plasterer may skim opposite walls letting them set before plastering the adjacent ones.

Thanks for your replies.

Since my first post, I've also noticed that some of the plastering is not completely flat - running my hand over it, I can feel definite ridges.

It looks like I am going to have to get back in touch with the plasterer and see where it gets me - still haven't paid him yet. I really hope this doesn't get nasty

Sponsored Links
It looks like I am going to have to get back in touch with the plasterer and see where it gets me - still haven't paid him yet. I really hope this doesn't get nasty

Don't get aggressive; be friendly & polite with a brew of tea & some banter/chat. Explain the problem you have with his work, let him think about it & then just ask him point blank if he would accept that standard in his own house. If the quality really is naff, then this usually stops most dead as the only answer has got to be no! If you’re positive in your conviction & understanding of what you were expecting, he will know in his own mind that you’re right! But if he really doesn’t care, you may be on to a looser & if it goes the wrong way, just advise that you won’t pay him any more money until the job is completed to your satisfaction.

It sounds to me its been done in one coat and twiched in. give him the oppertunity to put it right and you will gladly settle the bill. if you dont hear from him again then recycle your money to pay a decent spread

SPC, please look at the last post dates before posting; this thread is over 3 years old ;)

Sorry mate, i havnt been on this site for ages. :oops:

please excuse my ignorance

the brush lines in the corner are most probably where he used a brush instead of a twitcher, and if you can see the out line of the scrim then the plaster isent thick enough, if you cant feel the tape and its smooth this may disapear under the paint as may the brush lines in the corners, but the ridge lines you can feel is where he did not do a good job flattening in some people refer to these as tiger stripes, if its not to bad they can be lightly sanded, but the position you are in now is a good one because you still have the money, ask him to come back and rectify it as its not a satisfactory job give him one chance to put it right, if not do as mentioned in an earlier post and keep the money to get another spread in

Sorry mate, i havnt been on this site for ages. :oops:

please excuse my ignorance
No worries, just gets a bit confusing for the regualrs sometimes youve even caught Steve out ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back