HELP Electric Central Heating not working !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a electric central heating system in my apartment.

Recently all the radiators stopped working and I am not sure why.

I have checked the timer and cant see any problem with that.

Is it possible that the fuse on the switch is the problem ?

To be honest, I dont know much about central heating and all that.

And I am sure you guys would require more information to help with my query...

Please let me know what information that is require...

Thank you in advance...

Sponsored Links
having read about central heating systems and what not, I think I am getting more confused now.

I dont think I even have a central heating system seeing all wall radiators are connected to wall sockets and no pipes goes in or out of the radiators.

The radiators blows hot air and all radiators can be set using a timer placed in the boiler room. The temperature of the hot air blown from the radiator can be controlled via the temperature button on each units.

I get hot water from the electric boiler, which is passed around the wet rooms via pipes.

This is also currently being controlled by another timer.

Please help! Its freezing! Thanks!

I'm afraid that your lack of understanding doesn't give us much to go on, but we'll give it a shot. You say the timer in the boiler room is working - how can you have a master timer in the boiler room if you don't have a boiler? Perhaps you're confusing this with a hot water cylinder? And what makes you so sure it's working?

The heaters you linked to appear to have a timer built-in, so I'm a little suspect as to whether or not that really is the model that you have fitted. If you're absolutely certain that you have a master timer that controls all the heaters, it's probably connected to a contactor to control the large connected load. This could potentially have failed.

I assume you have checked the obvious? Depending on how the heaters have been wired, there may be one or multiple MCBs protecting the circuit(s), so make sure nothing has tripped.

If all else fails, either call an electrician or take some pictures of the heater, the power connection to the heaters, the 'boiler-room' timer, and your consumer unit(s) (fuse boxes if that's what you're still calling it).

Sponsored Links
cheers for your time mate, i am utterly grateful.

let me clarify:

there are 2 timers in my boiler room.

i have got 2 appliances in the boiler room - the boiler and a ventilation unit control.

as the ventilation unit is always on, albeit how I set the timer, I assume that the timer works for the radiator. There is also a fused connection unit/switch next to the timer, and this unit/switch happens to be the master control for all the panel radiators in my apartment.

The other timer meanwhile control my boiler. (how water).

I have also checked and nothing has tripped, and that some how rather crossed out the fuse problem.

But since I have just moved in and the apartment is newly built, I dont think the panel heaters are the problem, but again, I am not sure what is the problem!

I will try to get the pictures up once I am back from work.

Again, cheers mate for the much needed help !

The timers - do they have an override on them? You may have caught this by mistake. Check this.

I'm currently thinking one of the timers controls a contactor or 2, which in turn switches on the heaters.

The supply to the contactors may be at fault (perhaps the fuse you checked - how did you check it?) Or the MCB (trip switch) has tripped which feeds the contactors. You can tell if an MCB has tripped, as its lever will be pointing the other way to the rest of them.

Photos of this setup would be very good.

We need pics of the timers, and all the elctrical boxes around them, a description of where wires go, the main electrical consumer unit, the "electrical outlets" at the heaters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back