Help figure out what is going on under my floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have noticed some funny things going on under the floor of our recently bought house, which was originally built in 1905.

Eventually I will rip out the old floor and replace it but I would like to understand (as much as possible) what is going on under it without taking it off.

I attach some pictures of an unusual hole in the fireplace. Here you can notice:(from bottom up):

1) A black DPM membrane
2) 2cm concrete slab
3) 2 cm void
4) 2-3 cm timber joist
5) Chipboard panel
6) Thin underlay
7) Engineered floor

My questions are:

1) Is this type of floor construction common (dpm, thin concrete slab, void, timber joist...)
2) Could the DPM (or the bad installation of it) be causing our damp wall issues?
3) Shouldn't a floor concrete slab be thicker than 2cm?
4) Are there any options to remove timber joists and maybe screed concrete slab to gain some ceiling height in the room?

Thank you

IMG_8891.JPG
IMG_8892.JPG
IMG_8895.JPG

Sponsored Links
The hearth stone was probably removed and timber installed to support new floor.
Where is damp ? In chimney breast or nearby?, check roof .

Foxhole, thanks for the reply. Dampness was only measured around chimney breast and surrounding walls. Readings were high and we were told that this was probably due to failed DPC on walls. However, looking at how the DPM under the floor was not connected to the wall's DPC when it was installed makes me think that this is the true issue. No leaks from roof and the fireplace is on the party wall. Any advice would be welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back