Help for a newbie.

i wouldn't recommend a refurb myself-better off just doing a proper job! change the whole valve and the new one will last 5yrs plus. how long will a refurb?

Well, as a newbie to working on boilers, although over the years I've had basically ever other sort of domestic appliance (And engines etc) in pieces / back together, I dont know how long a refurbed valve would be likely to last,
but I would have thought that a valve that had been refurbed correctly using the original manufacturers kit should last as long as a new one, is this not the case ?

I only ask as it would seem from what I can find out so far, when refurbing one of these valves, all of the original internals are replaced with new parts from the refurb kit (Am i correct ?) that would only leave the original Brass casting to fail (Metal fatigue ?) which I would have thought unlikely,

Regards,
Davyboy.

time to remove and refurb valve greatly outweighs time to exchange valve. (time is money). early valves had a different microswitch and bracket (green in colour) and these are problematic. new type microswitch (black) much more reliable. I talk from experience on this one.

Sponsored Links
there's a few of these on fleebay for £50 or there abouts. half normal price.

Thanks Dangermouse 64,
I appreciate you're advice and the benefit of your experience, however just to clear things up,
I am not thinking of removing the diverter valve that is on the boiler at the moment and refurbing then replacing, but rather refurbing the old diverter (Which has a Black bracket and microswitch) and once refurbed switching the newly refurbed valve for the one on the boiler at the moment, the time it takes me does not really matter, as I would be doing the job for myself and would be saving quite a bit anyway and as money is very tight at the moment a refurbed valve would be a favoured option,
given all of the above circumstances, would you still advise against a refurb,
Your help / advice is much appreciated,

Regards,
Davyboy.

if you have the black microswitch valve to refurb (and it's in reasonable condition) then refurb it. I have a van full of these and change them for new every time now. (and send old to the scrap man by the box full)

Sponsored Links
Surely you can`t get these by the box full dangermouse because do you not say that vaillant are the best boiler around why would so many be breaking down unless the boiler was unreliable. Oh and did they not redisgn that valve about 3 times?

Surely you can`t get these by the box full dangermouse because do you not say that vaillant are the best boiler around why would so many be breaking down unless the boiler was unreliable. Oh and did they not redisgn that valve about 3 times?

they are an old mass produced boiler. are you familiar with the term wear & tear?

And other vaillants are not massed produced then ? . This valve has been failing from day one which is why it was redesigned

Ok, thanks everyone for the helpful advice / comments, now, can anyone tell me the part number of this refurb kit and about how much it might cost me ?
Thanks and regards in advance,
Davyboy.

And other vaillants are not massed produced then ? . This valve has been failing from day one which is why it was redesigned

don't all combi boiler diverter valves wear out at some stage?
redesigns are to improve reliability so surely a good thing?

REdesigns means they got it wrong , twice at that

davey boy refurbish kit is around 35 quid new valve is around 95 and you know it will work

redesigns are to improve reliability so surely a good thing?

Many of the more recent "redesigns" have been to replace brass and stainless parts with plastic !

Water sections, pumps, heat exchangers!

Tony

Dangermouse it had nothing to do with product improvement,why would they need to improve a product just over a year old , it was a simple design fault too flimsy metal arm on first microswitch assy

Dangermouse it had nothing to do with product improvement,why would they need to improve a product just over a year old , it was a simple design fault too flimsy metal arm on first microswitch assy

that was along time ago. . . . . . .

REdesigns means they got it wrong , twice at that

davey boy refurbish kit is around 35 quid new valve is around 95 and you know it will work

Ok namsag thanks for that,
One thing I am struggling getting my head around, is that from both your and Dangermouse 46's comments ("New valve is around £95 and you know it will work" and "How long will a refurb last "?)
it would seem that you would be saying that a refurbed valve would be highly likely to either, not work at all, why would this be ?, or would be likely to fail rather quickly, again, why would this be ?
I'm not questioning you're knowledge / experience or anything else,
I'm just curious as to why it would seem that there is a great reluctance to refurb / reuse a valve.
(Unless of course it is because, you as plumbers do not have the time to carry out refurbs when the customer wants the job done and dusted)

Thank you and regards,
Davyboy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back