Help - Has my rsj been fitted correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a 3500mm rsj fitted, but concerned as to whether it has been correctly due to the following observations

When the rsj was put in place, the underside brickwork still had the old mortar in place, the builders didn't remove the old mortar.

The underside brickwork was not level end to end, there were high and low spots ranging upto 75mm in some places

I questioned them on this, and the answer that i was given was they didn't want to disturb the brickwork too much in case of collapse?

The rsj was buttered up, they used a 3 to 1 mix, the rsj was put in place, they used 4 acrow props, the last few turns getting the beam in place they really struggled, to the point they used a pipe to get more leverage to turn the acrow props!

It got to a point where we could hear cracking from above!!! and they backed off the acrows a little... :eek:

They then proceeded to fill the big and small gaps in between the rsj and brickwork above with mortar

The acrow props are still in place, I've just put a spirit level up and its slightly out of level :(

The rsj is sitting on pillars either side but I've noticed there is no mortar on the last brick which touches the rsj, the brick is sitting flush/tight against the bottom of the rsj

For peace of mind could anyone pls tell me what they've done is correct or totally wrong?

Sponsored Links
For peace of mind could anyone pls tell me what they've done is correct or totally wrong?
Sounds like a standard beam fit to me. The beam being 'slightly out of level' is not something to worry about, no. The plasterboard can be fitted level. My only criticism is the over-winding of the acros although it makes sense to get some tension on the beam rather than allow the wall to settle.

There should not be any mortar between the underside of the beam and its bearing.
As above, an out-of-level beam can often be corrected by plasterwork.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's what happens.

With respect to what? So the complete procedure is correct?

My concern primarily was regarding the bricks above not being level, old mortar not being removed and the excessive packing of mortar, I dont recall any slate or steel being used for packing

And the cracking/creaking of god knows what above in the bedroom :(

How long should the props remain in place before removing?

The ideal would be to have a nice level bed of mortar on top of the beam, so that he load is evenly-spread, but on a 3.5m span, lack of even bearing will not be an issue. Brickwork is remarkably stable and forgiving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back