HELP HELP HELP !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok i would really apreciate if someone could help asap ( i have electrical qualifications c and g 2330 but havent done electrics for years) i want to add 2 sockets to a ring main is it possible to run a new socket from the back of a existing socket and can i add a junction box to the 2.5 mm to add another i have a diagram to what im trying to explain in my photos plz can someone help my thanks ls5545

Sponsored Links
ok i would really apreciate if someone could help asap ( i have electrical qualifications c and g 2330 but havent done electrics for years) i want to add 2 sockets to a ring main is it possible to run a new socket from the back of a existing socket and can i add a junction box to the 2.5 mm to add another i have a diagram to what im trying to explain in my photos plz can someone help my thanks ls5545

With ring final circuits you cannot add more than one spur from a socket.
You can however run a 2.5mm cable from a socket on the ring to a 13Amp Fused Connection Unit and then run sockets from that.

For the avoidance of doubt.... So you want to add two unfused spurs to your ring final circuit: one taken from the back of an existing socket; the other from a new junction box, both using 2.5mm² T&E.

This is OK, and you would not be able to have any more than 1 single or double socket on either of these unfused spurs.

A better option would be to extend the ring final circuit to add you new sockets without spurs, but this might be impractical.

Your proposed junction box must be accessible if it uses screw terminals.

thanks for ur reply but i dont want to add a spur just 2 double sockets i have a diagram of what i want to do in my pics on my profile

Sponsored Links
yeah thats what im after ehoes all i want to add is 2 double sockets

Your diagram looks perfectly acceptable.

The 30 amp junction box should be accessible though.

thanks for ur reply but i dont want to add a spur just 2 double sockets i have a diagram of what i want to do in my pics on my profile
Well that looks like a spur on your diagram or have i misread it?

i think the OP is confusing a switched fuse spur with spur off the ring.

Your diagram does look like this
which is the diagram shown in the correction to the BS7671:2008 which can be down loaded for free from IET web site. See here so I see nothing wrong.

OK there is the 3 m limit to spurs, and until amendment 1 you need RCD protection to added sockets and cable unless you use special cable like ali-tube. And any inaccessible JB's must be maintenance free type (spring clips instead of screws).

But the question is the diagram permitted must be answered yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back