help i need diagram for frost protection pipe stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i have my wood burning linked to cylinder in the loft. Everything is fine however the diagram shows i need to fit a pipe stat

i have got a honeywell room stat to connect to my low temp honeywell pipe stat

i would be assisted if someone call draw my a diagram of how to connect the wiring

Sponsored Links
How long is a piece of string? We no absolutely nothing about how the existing system is wired.

If the wood burner is your only heat source, there's no point in having a frost stat, unless you had it wired to a loud siren and flashing beacon near your bed to warn you to light the wood burner.

If there's also an electric/gas boiler in the system along with a timeclock/programmer, it's probably a case of wiring the frost stat to a permanent live supply at the programmer, then back to 'call for heat' on the boiler, such as to enable the frost stat to turn on the boiler even when the heating is timed off. However, if you have zone valves in the system and no auto bypass, you'll need to reconsider the wiring so as to keep the heating valve open and allow water to flow around the system.

thanks for the very patronising response.
a pipe stat is neccesary to ensure that the cylinder does not overheat and switches on the pump to the rads to disapate the heater through the rads
the low temp switch turns off the pump when the return pipe temp lowers in order to avoid cold water drawing back into the rad system and allowing the flow to the cylinder to warm up again

i guess experience means loads hey
to those who know what there talking about im i have a t4360a and a l641b1004

please refraim from being so patronising unless you actually know what your talking about

You need a low limit roomstat set to 5 degrees.

1 of room stat = permanent live.
2 of room stat = neutral

3 of roomstat goes with 'c' on pipestat
1 on pipestat is your switchline back to the heat source (boiler etc)

Still cant see why you need this for a wood burner!!

Sponsored Links
Ignore what ive said then.

Your put FROST PROTECTION, this has nothing to do with frost!

it is a wood burner with a back boiler which heats the hot water cylinder and pushes water to the rads

thanks for the very patronising response.

I thought it was quite helpful, and certainly not patronising given that you really haven't provided us with anything to chew on.

to those who know what there talking about im i have a t4360a and a l641b1004

please refraim from being so patronising unless you actually know what your talking about

Should read "...to those that know how to use google". You have a frost stat and a low limit pipe stat.

Anyway, I see you're not all that interested with that sort of attitude, so I'll leave you to it.

a pipe stat is neccesary to ensure that the cylinder does not overheat and switches on the pump to the rads to disapate the heater through the rads
Completely wrong. The cylinder is prevented from overheating by the radiator(s) which are part of the gravity circuit and therefore permanently on, this is usually the one in the bathroom. This radiator has to be sized appropriately depending on the boiler heat output.

Assuming you have a gravity hot water and pumped radiators, and a pipe stat and a room stat only (no programmer or any other controls), then the wiring is: Permanent live to one terminal of the room stat, the other terminal (switched live) connects to the pipe stat. The output from the pipe stat connects to the pump live.

How this works:
If room stat is turned down/off, heating does not work.
If room stat is turned up, then the heating works, provided the gravity return from the cylinder is above the set temperature (usually around 45C).
If the return from the cylinder falls below 45C, the pipe stat turns off, which turns the pump off.

This means the heating only works when there is a suitable amount of hot water, otherwise the heating system would take all of the heat from the boiler, leaving the hot water cylinder cold or barely warm.

None of this has anything to do with frost stats, which as already said, can't be used with wood stoves. The part number you posted earlier is a frost stat, so if you have that, it is of no use to you.

Installing these thermostats and the wiring is notifiable work (part P).

thank u

finally some one who knows what they are talking about
can you give me more detail in wiring im using honeywell t460a and honeywell L841b 1004

thanks in advance

i have the plumbing diagram i after the electrical diagram i.e

live to room stat 1 live from etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back