Help identifying this please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved house and have come across this in the airing cupboard!

www.diynot.com/network/pjs2388/albums/

Can anybody identify it for me?!!

It is a small copper cylinder which is fixed to the wall above the hot water cylinder.
It has three copper pipes connected to it:
The one on the right is connected to the top of the hot water cylinder (hot water?).
The one on the left comes down from the loft, so I believe it is connected to the cold water storage tank.
The one out of the bottom of the cylinder connects into the pipework just above the central heating pump.
There is also a manual vent on the side of this cylinder.

Thanks for any information.
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Thanks, never heard of one before but have googled for more info!!

Hi, in response to your question, I worked in the Design & Technical dept for Hydro Spartan when I left college back in the early 90’s. The company closed about 16 years ago but I kept some old brochures and leaflets, which I still have. If you would like copies, please let me know and I will scan and email them to you.

The Spartan expansion vessel came in 2 standard sizes, ET50 & ET100, the numbers representing the water capacity of the heating system, that the vessel could be used with. I think Spartan is an acronym for “Self Priming Automatic Recovery Tank”.

Basically the Spartan is in 2 sections, split top and bottom. Water from the domestic side of the system is piped through one of the side fittings, into the top chamber. In the middle of the top chamber is an upstand pipe. Once the water level reaches the top of the upstand pipe it overflows into the bottom chamber. The bottom chamber is connected to the central heating system, this water from the DHW system is used to fill the central heating system.

The functions of the Feed and Expansion Tank in a normal open vented system, are taken care of within the Spartan. Basically the head of water in the DHW header tank and the internal layout of the Spartan prevent water in the 2 separate systems from mixing under normal conditions.

It’s pretty simple, as long as the Purgomat (Automatic Air Vent), which is connected to the bottom of the chamber of the Spartan is working ok, it shouldn’t cause too many problems

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's something resembling the innards of a primatic cylinder, but mounted seperately in it's own housing.

Can you use additives in the heating system with that arrangement?

Thanks for the info, I saw one of these a couple of years ago in an Ex local authority home in east london, I'd never seen one in thirty odd years in the industry and Hadn't a clue what it was! luckily i didn't get the replacement Boiler job so it never became an issue! just goes to show no one knows it all :confused:

Sounds like it's something resembling the innards of a primatic cylinder, but mounted seperately in it's own housing.

Can you use additives in the heating system with that arrangement?

No, You normally find then on the side on a Fortic combination cylinder.

The one in the pic looks as though it may have been adapted as a surge arrester.

The one in the pic looks as though it may have been adapted as a surge arrester.
Why do you say that?
looks "normal" to me, just strap-banding holding it up - and I thought they should be on drawoff after the vent tee.

Look at that Speedfit lash up, it's a common sight these day, even see it done by so called professionals!

Why do you say that?
looks "normal" to me, just strap-banding holding it up - and I thought they should be on drawoff after the vent tee.

I say that because it's not connected as one (me) would expect.

And no, Seco, they were a pain in the butt to fill and get the air out.

Fortic1.jpg

To let the air out of the primary side.

One of these days I will get one to cut up and see whats inside :rolleyes:

It works a bit like a primatic cylinder, the top fills up then floods into the bottom trapping air in the vessel, the auto air vent allow water to enter the bottom section, then when there's no air in the aav it shuts off so no more water can get in. I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back