Help! I'm not a DIY guy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,

My kitchen door has never fitted right since I moved in here, so I decided to tackle it today. I bought a wood chisel and I've been shaving bits off of it so that it closes neatly without rubbing onto the door frame and sticking.

Trouble is, my doors have these little wooden re-inforcement blocks running right through parts of the middle of the door, and they're such a bugger to chisel! Is there an easier way to do this? And don't say I need a plane, they're expensive.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sharpen the chisel.

And yes, a plane would be best. For some reason second hand ones are rare. You can use a surform if you don't mind rough and rounded edges to your door.

Sharpen it? I just bought it today, lol. The wood on these reinforcement blocks is much firmer than on the rest of the door, that's the trouble.

sharpen it anyway, you'll be surprised what a difference it makes.

They might be tenons, if it is a panelled door.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a DIY guy John, I explained that. I wouldn't know how to sharpen a chisel, it sounds by the instructions of the back of the packet that it's yet more hassle finding and buying things from B&Q.

And all these other technical terms you use mean little to me.

It seems to me ,that theeasiest way you could/should tackle diy jobs is to get someone else to do it for you.

Yes, you're probably right. The thing is, it looks relatively easy on paper, but when you actually start to do it you usually hit snags and it becomes a real pain in the backside.

joking aside doing diy will save you money,if you feel confident enough and to be honest there are jobs around the house that you could attempt.But to do these jobs you will have to invest in a basic tool kit. :)

Daz223 said:
Sharpen it? I just bought it today, .........

Chisels are not sharp when purchased, they are near enough the right shape, but need sharpening.

You're kidding! I ought to take it back to B&Q if that's the case, that makes no sense at all.

the chisel may appear sharp, but compare it to a keen edged pro's chisel, and you'll be amazed.

sounds to me like you are battling across the end grain on the tenon joints. you need a plane my boy.

Well, I was feeling extra strong today and managed to tackle those tenons with my trusty ole chisel. The door now closes perfectly, although it's pretty uneven where I've been shaving away at it.

And I managed to gash my hand with the chisel! Argh. Normally I'm so careful, but not today.....

Thanks for the moral support anyway folks.

Daz223 said:
The door now closes perfectly, although it's pretty uneven where I've been shaving away at it.

Tell Father Christmas you need a plane to smooth it off. it's a very satisfying tool to use if kept sharp. They are surprisingly expensive so ask round your uncles and other older relatives who might have an old one in the shed.

I got a bosch PH01 Plane from Argos if I recall it was fairly reasonable, I had the bottom of two doors to do and had never used a plane before so didn't want to spend a fortune, I've used it recently again on another door, so I think it has paid for itself

pat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back