Help! I've broken an old ladies window handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Apologies for sounding like an idiot. I'm staying in a B&B with a lovely old lady owner and when closing the bedroom window in the night somehow managed to basically twist the whole handle off so the metal has sheared away.

Apologies for being even more clueless but I don't know if the handle is metal or UVPC. The weird thing is the handle is really quite heavy so feels like it is made of metal inside.

I've attached a picture of it (i've just shoved it in but it you can't turn it without it falling off).... but I will need to buy a new one and find someone to fix it for her.

bSlTq0O.jpg

Would appreciate any ideas on where to get one like this and how much someone would charge to fit it?

Silly blond girl!
Emma

[/img]

Sponsored Links
If it broke in normal usage, I think I would just be saying 'Im sorry'.

I know but I at least want to get her a new handle even if she arranges to fit it.

I was half asleep at the time and remember thinking the handle wasn't moving very well but I carried on turning it without stopping to actually look at what was happening (window was open at the time)
It was definetly my fault it broke!
!
Shes so lovely and old I want to help her out a bit.

Are you sure that's broken? Looks normal to me. Have you tried pressing the button?

Sponsored Links
haha yes its definetly broken - the whole handle came off in my hand and the metal spindle bit has sheared off.

I just tried shoving it back on to see if i could get away with that but there's no chance - it immediately falls off again if you actually try and use it.

Its called a right handed cockspur handle. You can get them from screw fix or toolstation, Loads of places.

You need a very accurate measurement of the stack height though, The distance from the sash to the thickest part of the plastic wedge. Or you could just buy a handful of different sized wedges and hope one of them will fit a random handle size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back