Help joining soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My scaffolders pulled off a section of the iron soil stack. In fairness it was in poor condition. I've just been up the ladder to have a look. There's a short section that joins at the 'Y'. I thought it was all cast iron, but looking closer it's quite badly dented, so it may be hard to cut back to a section that's properly circular. It feels metallic when I tap it. The pipe appears to be a single piece (no joins) that does a 90 degrees in to the wall. I'd prefer not to replace the through-wall bit. Questions:
- what's it made of?
- can I cut it with an angle grinder, which was the original plan?
Appreciate any thoughts and comments.

ETA: To clarify: original plan was to replace Y with a plastic Y, add a small section of new pipe, and new plastic pipe above and below, joining to better condition cast iron pipe lower down.

Attachments

• IMG_4596sm.JPG
    IMG_4596sm.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Judging by the rust appearance, I’d say it’s cast iron. The branch off could be cast iron or lead. Scrape the paint off it, see what colour it is underneath.

Thanks - I'm fairly certain the branch off is lead judging by the dents/deformations that you wouldn't get in cast iron. I'd only ever seen cast iron and plastic ones, so it threw me a bit. What's the best way to join it to a new plastic Y? I've bought some push-fit slip couplings and the rubber sleeves with the big jubilee clips. Any good?

You might be able to use a dc1 but might not get the lead in, so probably best with the flexseal with jubilee clips.

Sponsored Links
That is a lead bend it will almost certainly brass section soldered to it where it fits into junction,
The lead will be easy to re round proper tool was called a plumbers dummy (still got some somewhere) but you can make do with a hammer shaft or similar
Once you have it back to round be much easier to join.
If you need to shorten it old hand saw works well.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks. You folks are great. You've pointed me in the right direction. Just what I needed to know.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back