Help leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just been in the attic and discovered a leak as items are very wet but can't see where it's coming from we've also got something that has chewed through paper so I'm thinking a mouse.

We need to serious overal the attic space as we had birds nesting in there in the summer, so my question is do I refelt ( current felt is torn and missing in places) and repoint to make weather proof or someone mentioned about some foam that sprays to underside of tiles that is breathable and guaranteed for 30 years. What are people's thoughts on either option.

Sponsored Links
Definitely no spray foam mate - the work of the devil, that one.......you don't absolutely need an underfelt (but it helps) - just make sure gaps are filled and slates or whatever are in good nick.
John :)

Thanks, someone recommended the foam hence my question, why is it bad out of curiosity? I think I'd like the felt renewed to keep the attic cleaner as the areas where it's ripped are very dirty and we use the attic to store stuff.

The foam, when sprayed in between the roof rafters, had some benefit in consolidating the roof where there were loose slates and so on.
What wasn't evident at the time was the fact that roofs really need to breathe, and to ventilate the timbers within.....hence the issue of rotting rafters after some time had elapsed.
By all means have your felt replaced but of course that means a complete roof strip, which may also mean replacement of some slates or tiles - whatever you have.
Only my opinion but if birds can get in, then there are gaps that need attention too!
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back