Help lifting beams through loft hatch

If you have a purlin to hand, then you also have another one across the loft. You can either knock a bit of 3x2 between the 2 purlins to brace them, or you can install a bit of 4x2 across them cut at either end for the angle of the roof, and then put a couple of M10 bolt through both ends. That'd let you run the block and pulley from the brace.

Sponsored Links
If you have a purlin to hand, then you also have another one across the loft. You can either knock a bit of 3x2 between the 2 purlins to brace them, or you can install a bit of 4x2 across them cut at either end for the angle of the roof, and then put a couple of M10 bolt through both ends. That'd let you run the block and pulley from the brace.
That’s a great idea; unfortunately the purlin in the opposite side is a steel beam mind you I could fix a bit of 3x2 diagonally between the purlin and the brick gable wall and use that as a brace. That would have the same effect no?

I would pull it up a ladder - 2 men in the loft on the rope and one below guiding it from the side - it can be lifted a few inches at a time and the flange safely rested on the treads in between.

As long as you can secure it properly, and it's not too long to be deflected, it could work.

Now the purlin might be steel, but you could knock a piece of wood between the rafters, and secure to that. Or you could notch/cut one end of the brace to rest on or against the steel purlin.

Sponsored Links
Because of the nature of the conversion we need the beams then floor joists in first then the stairs. Stairs will be hung off the new joists
You put the flight in off temporary supports first!

Never do a loft conversion through the hatch

cut it in half, that'll half the weight and the length....
:D

As you arent used to moving steels, do be very careful its one of those things that can go wrong very quickly.

Steel toe caps and gloves a good idea.

Sounds over the top, but do a risk assessment........

It's posts like this that make me wish this site had a "thumbs down" button.
I can understand the rationale for only having "thanks" and "like", but there are exceptions.
I’d say you had already given my post the thumbs down! Here is some more for you to flame!

Clearly H&S is important, I must be rather blasé about it.... all this talk of hoists, blocks and tackle, purlins not supporting it etc sounds like it’s a 300kg beast. It’s 50kg.... 2m long..... I’d have got that up on my own....one in each hand..... one in my teeth.

I would have slung a shackle round my ball sack and lifted it up with that, all this H&S pussy talk, we won the war you know.

It's posts like this that make me wish this site had a "thumbs down" button.
I can understand the rationale for only having "thanks" and "like", but there are exceptions.
Not to long ago sand and cement was is 50kg bags, and they went on our shoulders no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back