Help! Lighting/ dimmers?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I apologise in advance for my ignorance as I am new to DIY! I hope to post some pics once my camera to PC lead is found!

I am replacing the existing single light switch at the top of the landing stairs and the double light switch at the bottom of the stairs with dimmers. The single switch at the top turns the landing lights on as does one of the switches on the double switch at the bottom of the stairs. The other switch on the double at the bottom seems to do nothing!

At the top of the stairs I have 2 cables coming into the switch which consist of cable 1) red/ black/ green and then cable 2) red/ yellow/blue/ green

- on the single dimmer there is L1/ L2 and a wavey line with an arrow through it.

At the bottom of the stairs I have another 2 cables coming into the socket which consist of 1) red/ blue/ yellow/ green and then cable 2 ) red/ green/ yellow/ blue

- on the double dimmer there is 2 blocks each with L1/ L2 and a wavey line with arrow.

Ive tried connecting as per the diagrams but the lights dont seem to be working? Please could someone point me in the right direction? The previous owner built the extension and the wiring seems to be overly complicated which may explain a thing or 2!

Thanks

Greig

Sponsored Links
If these are standard turny-knob dimmers, you cant use two of them for one light.

One must be a normal switch, or use master/slave dimmers.

Did the other switch at the bottom ever do anything?

Outside light perhaps?

oh right - previously the dimmer switch at the top of the stairs did work when it was just standard light switches downstairs. I will reinstall the old standard light switch downstairs and see what happens.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back