HELP! LIGHTS NOT WORKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please please can someone help. Moved into my flat about 6mths ago, and replaced all the lights in each of the rooms. Also changed the switches to dimmer switches. All worked fine for the last few months. The bulbs that came with the light fitting weren’t a great standard so have been replacing them as they blow. Last month in one of my bedrooms, 3 of the 4 bulbs had blown so I just thought they needed replacing. The last one that was left was getting power to it, but was very very dim, but I didn’t think anything of it. I’ve replaced all the bulbs now and they still don’t work properly – they get power to them but are very dim so there’s a problem somewhere. Anyone come across anything similar and have any suggestions of what the issue could be?

Sponsored Links
My car wont work, whats wrong with it?

Come on, give us something to go on!

What sort of fitting is this? What type, wattage, number and voltage of lamps does it use? What is the rating, brand and type of the dimmer? What type of transformer (if applicable) is fitted in the light?

Not related, but a safety point,
Is the light metal? Is it earthed?

Fitting is a chrome bar with 4 spotlights on it. 250v bulbs. cant remember the wattage off the top of my head. Dimmer is metal, push on/off and as for the brands, would be standard ones that can be bought in B&Q. Voltex rings a bell but not sure if that's right. The transformer is in the light fitting itself, but you're talking to someone that isn't particularly technical...sorry. Yes all is metal and yes all earthed.

Thing is that all throughout the rest of the flats the lights work ok, and so did this one until recently. If it was the dimmer switch, then wouldnt expect any power to get to the light although I may be wrong. Was going to try replacing the dimmer and see if that works but wanted to see if anyone has come accross anything like this before.

Sponsored Links
Replace the dimmer with a standard lightswitch and see if all is restored.

Sometimes a bulb blowing can cause the dimmer to fry. Though modes of failure vary.

If the lamps are 250V, there wont be a transformer because 220-250V is what comes into your house! ;)

If you buy another dimmer, buy one rated to at least 400 watts.

More expensive bulbs (Osram, GE, Philips) will have internal fuses to stop this dimmer frying business.

Dimming by half only saves 25% energy by the way, and dimming halogens can shorten their life.

Thanks for the info Steve..will try that and let you know how I get on...fingers crossed!

MAde any changes to the wiring in the unit? Sounds like they might be running in series instead of parallel, which means each of 4 would have 40V instead of 240V

PJ

Loose connection somewhere, wither in the fitting, the switch or the light before that one, at least that is where my money would be, if i had any :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back