Help me fit this light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not necessarily electrical related but I am trying to fit a light fitting and I totally do not understand. I have attached a photo of the but I do not understand. The light is a chandelier type fitting which has a chrome rose and then a shaft that leads to the light fitting itself. What I have is about 10cm of cable between the bottom of the shaft and the light fitting and have no idea what I need to do with this (nor can I understand why it is there),

The instructions say step 1 undo the grub screws (removed done)
Step 2 is exactly what I can see at the moment, can't push the cable up inside, the only thing I can think of would be to take it down and pull it up inside the rose itself. At first I thought it was some telescopic thing which would lower itself onto the rose but I do not think it is?

Has anyone had any experience of this? Maybe it is telescopic and I need to try harder but don't think so (glad to be wrong though)

I just can't work out what step 2 is trying to say here

Help

Attachments

• 20221128_141946.jpg
    20221128_141946.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
looks like the cable between the ceiling part and the part with the arms can be adjusted in length such that if you have low ceilings you move the "arms" up by shortenining the exposed cable or if you have high ceilings the cable can be longer so that the "arms" are lower. just a guess though judging by the useless "instructions"!

so I guess I am going to have to take it down and pull it up into the rose, thats going to be a pain in the neck, not much space in there already

I doubt that the grub screws were holding the cable in position, if they were then tightening them would be likely to damage the cable. I guess that there is a telescopic shaft inside the top shaft which lowers over the cable and is held in place by the grub screws. Is a photo of the light available from the place that you bought it?

Sponsored Links
Thos grub screws are for connecting the base to the shaft once the cable has been removed (somehow). All of the photos pn the box and all the ones I have seen online show the shaft connected to base without the cable, its crazy. I have tried pulling on it (oooeeer) to see if it is telescopic but it doesn't move.

Showing us some pics of the actual light fitting / shaft etc would be useful.
It seems to me that the fitting can be hung either way. Fixed shaft ,or extended on its flex.

Here is a pic of where I am at, at the moment. I don't think it is telescopic, otherwise it would (should) be easier to lower. That rose at the bottom connects to the shaft via the grub screws so that the weight is on the metal and not the cable I guess. The problem is where to put the cable. I cannot push it up and I suspect that if I was to take it down there wouldn't be enough space in the rose for it all.

Just can't understand those instructions, anyone ever seen the same or a similar indicator?

Attachments

• 20221128_150313.jpg
    20221128_150313.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 35
That's clearly intended to have the shaft connected to the fitting and not suspended on the flex.
Before fitting to the ceiling ,the shaft gets pulled down ,connects to fitting ,secured by grub screws. The excess cable contained in base plate.

Are we saying that it is definately telescopic then? is that what the instructions are saying?

ok, so the only way (for me) would be to pull the cable up into the rose and pack it in there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back