help me!!!! lol

L

liam999uk

Iam going to be tiling my bathroom soon, am fairly handy but never tried tiling before!!! may get somebody in if it all goes pear shaped but i need to ask a few questions!!!

1. i have floorboards down in the bathroom what do i need to put down over the boards to tile onto?? would 6mm wbp ply do???
2. should i tile before putting bath and toilet in?? i mean should i put the tiles just underneath the edges of the bath and then butt it upto the tiles then seal??? The same with the toilet should i tile just underneath it the place toilet over tiles then fix and seal???

cheers liam

Sponsored Links
1. i have floorboards down in the bathroom what do i need to put down over the boards to tile onto?? would 6mm wbp ply do???
12mm ply is recommended or backerboards (6mm).

2. should i tile before putting bath and toilet in?? i mean should i put the tiles just underneath the edges of the bath and then butt it upto the tiles then seal??? The same with the toilet should i tile just underneath it the place toilet over tiles then fix and seal???

Definatley tiles under the toilet,makes life much easier.

Normally bath goes in first and fix in position,floor tiles under up to the feet at side.
Seal round the bath before wall tiling,then when tiling finished seal again.

hi cheers for the reply, what do you mean by backerboards???? are there special boards to buy especially for tiling??? cheers again

To be absolutely sure about a solid floor, use 9-ply (18mm), screwed every 9 inches. This might bring the floor level higher than you would like. If at all possible, remove the floorboards and replace with 9-ply. 6mm ply would flex far too much and the tiles would quite likely blow (become un-stuck).
I used to tile a lot in Spain and I mainly tiled new rooms so all fixings (like baths and toilets) came in after the tiling. It always looks best and makes the job easier.
There is no need to use a primer on the wood, as long as it is clean. If you treat it with PVA to seal it, the tile adhesive sticks to the PVA and not to the wood as the PVA acts as a barrier. You must use a good quality flexible adhesive and grout as wood naturally moves and tiles don't!
Have fun. Plan your work and work your plan.

Sponsored Links
would it be possible to use a smaller sub floor and a slightly thicker tile????

Backerboards are a cement based board,I have used them a couple of times where customers have requested minimal raising of the floor height (backers are 6mm thick)
I normally use 12mm ply as a rule but have been back to both jobs where I used the backers on the floor and they are still fine with no signs of cracking grout or loose tiles (oldest floor is about 6-7 months ago)

hi thanks for the replys!! sounds like backerboards are the best for me as i can't take floorboards up and want the floor minimally raised!!! are they easy to fit?? do they just screw down or do you have to use some sort of adhesive??? do these boards allow for movement of the floorboards underneath??? ive seen that you can buy 10mm boards so that would be perfect with 6mm tiles! whats the best tile adhesive to use on this type of board is there a special type i should be aware of??? cheers again liam

Dry lay the backers first then use some powdered flexi adhesive and put a skim over the floorboards then lay the backers on it,this should take up any uneveness in the floor.

Once they are down screw them into place at 200mm centres.

Use powdered flexi for the tiles too.

great stuff is flexi grout the best to use in a room like that???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back