help me pick drill bits

Sponsored Links
How bigs the waste pipe?
Afaik those arent designed to be used with a hammer drill, just a standard sds drill. A hammer drill would rip the wall apart and probably mess up the new core drill

Go to your local hire shop, diamond core plus drill for the day should be less than £30.

I dont have to have the drill on hammer mode.

Whats the difference between SDS and normal drill?

Sponsored Links
danlightbulb said:
I dont have to have the drill on hammer mode.

Whats the difference between SDS and normal drill?

SDS literally hits it when on hammer. a normal drill relies on it running over 'bumps' for it to hammer. most SDS drills do have a roto only setting

If he already has a "hammer" drill, why wont a tct core drill with a hex shank do the trick? if its for one hole seems daft buying a new drill. Unlike diamond cores, tct's are used on hammer. Might ake a while with a non rotary hammer but shuold go through.

Hi guys,

so refering back to the question what do i need to buy?

The right size core bit obviously.

Then a shank? Take it I will need a long one to drill through 9" of brick?

Whats the pilot drill for do i need that?

Thanks

Hi,

I bought this 40mm core drill for my waste pipe. You will need the corrisponding arbor to hold it in the drill (SDS of chuck) and a guide rod. You can drill the pilot hole at the same time as the core, but you will need a drill with a tapered end.

I just drilled the pilot hole first (10mm bit 10" long) then started on the core cutting.

The core cutter, arbor and guide rod came to more than the cost of hiring the kit for a day, but then I have it for the next time now so not a problem for me.

By the way don't make the mistake I did and buy 40mm for a 40mm hole, I assumed the vibration would open it out to 41\42mm it didn't, the hole is absolutely spot on... bugger :oops: :D

simon

PS, I found screwfix a pain when it came to getting the arbor as the one they showed didn't fit and they won't let you speak to technical. So after 15 minutes of Chinese whispers I gave up and contacted Armeg to get the part numbers I needed for the core drill (from screwfix) arbor and guide rod and the name of a local dealer.

danlightbulb said:
Hi guys,

so refering back to the question what do i need to buy?

The right size core bit obviously.

Then a shank? Take it I will need a long one to drill through 9" of brick?

Whats the pilot drill for do i need that?

Thanks

core bit,pilot drill,and the longer arbour
the pilot bit drills a hole to guide and allow the cutter to start without bouncing all over the wall

simon_t said:
I bought this 40mm core drill for my waste pipe.
I very much doubt that you did, if the waste pipe was 40mm, because that isn't its external diameter. I use a 45mm TCT core drill to get 40mm waste pipe through a wall.

Softus said:
simon_t said:
I very much doubt that you did, if the waste pipe was 40mm, because that isn't its external diameter. I use a 45mm TCT core drill to get 40mm waste pipe through a wall.

You doubt I did what? :eek:

simon_t said:
Softus said:
simon_t said:

You doubt I did what? :eek:
I thought my statement was abundantly clear, but, to re-iterate...

I said:
I very much doubt that you did, if the waste pipe was 40mm, because that isn't its external diameter.
32mm waste pipe is less than 40mm, externally, whereas 40mm pipe is more than 40mm, externally, so a hole made by a 40mm core drill will not be big enough for 40mm waste pipe. I can't think of any way to make it any clearer. :confused:

That was the problem it didn't fit.

I bought the 40mm TCT core drill thinking it would open up to greater than 40mm which it may of, but obviously not enough because as you say the 40mm dia pipe is internal not external. If I'd known this at the time I would not have bought the 40mm :confused:

When I say the hole was spot on, I mean it is basically 40mm no more no less, well when measured with a rule.

Luckily it was for a bathroom basin so I could use 32mm pipe but I was hoping to use the same drill for all waste pipes.

So in doubting that I bought a 40mm drill, you're wrong.
In assuming that I'm a fool for taking 40mm as the external size, you're correct.

simon

I think "fool" is needlessly harsh. You made a mistake, that's all, from not knowing something.

I understand how you feel, I made a mistake myself, once :LOL:

JohnD said:
I think "fool" is needlessly harsh. You made a mistake, that's all, from not knowing something.

I understand how you feel, I made a mistake myself, once :LOL:

cant say ive ever done that, whats it like JohnD? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back