help me pick drill bits

As far as I can remember, it was terrible at first, it really sapped my confidence, and I fell into depression. But after a few years I learned to come to terms with it, and I truly believe I am a better and more humble person from the experience ;)

Sponsored Links
simon_t said:
That was the problem it didn't fit.
Er, that's what I've been saying.

I'm not getting at you simon_t, but you did write the following:

I bought 'this' 40mm core drill for my waste pipe. You will need the corrisponding arbor to hold it in the drill (SDS of chuck) and a guide rod. You can drill the pilot hole at the same time as the core, but you will need a drill with a tapered end.
It's still not clear whether you're saying that you realised it was too small, but only after buying/using it, or whether it's only just now that you've realised why it was too small. If the latter then I understand, and retract my implied criticism, and stand corrected.

However, if the former, then my point continues to be that you've not been very forthcoming with advice about your experience; as a result, whether unwittingly or not, you've misled danlightbulb.

I bought the 40mm TCT core drill thinking it would open up to greater than 40mm which it may of, but obviously not enough because as you say the 40mm dia pipe is internal not external. If I'd known this at the time I would not have bought the 40mm :confused:

When I say the hole was spot on, I mean it is basically 40mm no more no less, well when measured with a rule.

Luckily it was for a bathroom basin so I could use 32mm pipe but I was hoping to use the same drill for all waste pipes.

So in doubting that I bought a 40mm drill, you're wrong.[/quote]
I never meant to doubt the size that you bought, merely the fact that it was for 40mm waste pipe - I stated this condition right at the beginning. In this sense I'm not wrong to doubt, because the words you used were ambiguous.

In assuming that I'm a fool for taking 40mm as the external size, you're correct.
A simple mistake, which doesn't make you a fool, merely human.

BTW, I never make assumptions.

I did realise the drill was the wrong size after I drilled the hole. Even though it was for a 32mm waste pipe the intention was for it to be used on 40mm and 32mm. Only after trying to fit the pipe did I see my mistake.

Maybe in my initial post I should have pointed out more clearly that I wanted to drill a hole for 40mm waste, though I did think it was fairly clear at the time of writing.

And I did warn him not to buy a 40mm drill for a 40mm pipe.

JohnD I'm glad to hear you finally got over the trauma of your mistake. I have found, myself, that the more I make the easier they are to overcome. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should try not to make any and see how that feels. :)

simon_t said:
Maybe in my initial post I should have pointed out more clearly that I wanted to drill a hole for 40mm waste, though I did think it was fairly clear at the time of writing.
I wouldn't have posted at all if I hadn't found it to be unclear, although I realise that perhaps everyone else understood.

And I did warn him not to buy a 40mm drill for a 40mm pipe.
How?

simon_t said:
By the way don't make the mistake I did and buy 40mm for a 40mm hole.
This doesn't say that you bought the wrong drill for the pipe, but that you bought the wrong drill for the hole. If the OP simply heeded your advice then he'd buy a 42mm or 43mm bit, which would still be too small. That's not really a warning in my book.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry guys I did get Simons point! Its not his fault he had a little gramatical error. Is this forum full of English teachers?!!

I have purchased a 45mm TCT drill, pilot drill and 300mm arbor. My next question is do I need my drill on hammer setting or not?

Thanks

I don't use hammer with TCTs, but I've heard that some people do.

It will drill without, so it's your choice. :)

A bit ago I had a largish hole to drill, bought some tct core drills and took ages drilling without hammer, posted on here and the general concensus was that diamond core drills are not to be hammered, but tct's are fine. I have since used mine on hammer and they are still sharp (suprising actually as they are a cheapo (£50) set, dunno why I bought a set when I only needed one! I suppose its that tool magnet syndrome.

Since there is loads of knowledge on this post!

I have started drilling my hole. Working from inside out. Made great progress through the first layer of brick into the cavity, but have now hit a dead end. Have been drilling for ages, on hammer and normal, and cant seem to penetrate the second layer of brick.

Is it just a case of perserverence?

Thanks

EDIT: Dont worry guys my core hadn't broke out, thats what was stopping me!

Could be a concrete lintel; could even be a steel one.

Have you looked with a torch or tapped it with something metal, to check?

Photo for us?

Edit: OK - ignore my suggestion then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back