Drills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At 24 I class myself as the lazy generation, my grandad and dad had every DIY tool possible and knew how to use them... while I'm clueless! Just built a shed (lego for adults as I've come to describe it)

But now ive got to anchor the thing to the floor and I've got the urge to put up some shelves...

tried using this drill my mates got but its crap (and as a safety measure, i put on fill riot gear, yes i am a big child) but it was naff and didnt do much.

So ive got £100 ear marked for a nice new drill and have come to ask what people recommend.

Cordless and a second grip would be nice for it to have.

Thank you

EDIT -

There much difference in these? -

Eyeing up that one -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101377&ts=96771&id=70101

from these choices -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp;jsessionid=1NVX5OY344RXMCSTHZPCFFI?cId=101377&ts=97183

Sponsored Links
METABO........spend the extra£20. ;) `Kin BRILLIANT make

A 110V is mainly for site work (Health & Safety) needs a heavy transformer to work it.
As a DIYer I would not think of an SDS drill as my first drill, nice to have on the shelf if & when needed though. I have got to 63 without needing one.
JonB

Sponsored Links
The drills you have selected look fine, but in your opening post you say that a preference is that the drill should be cordless. All of the drills that you refer to are corded. So what's it to be?

chainsaw_masochist said:
The drills you have selected look fine, but in your opening post you say that a preference is that the drill should be cordless. All of the drills that you refer to are corded. So what's it to be?

I said cordless would be nice to have, wasn't an absolute must and that was before I saw the prices for cordless! Now I'm a firm follower of extention cables

An SDS drill shouldn't be your first or main drill.

There are plenty of cheapish cordless drills that work well (Ryobi for example) and a set of Irwin Cordless drill bits.

They'll do everything you ever wanted from a drill.

BTW, I bought the exact Dewalt you are looking at on the same day I got the Irwin bits - and I've only used the Dewalt once since that time.

I wouldn't recommend using a cordless drill. Ok you can use them anywhere, but I doubt they have the same power as corded versions. You can really hear the power draining away in the cordless ones. I have a cordless drill driver which stupidly cost me £50. Not very happy. I could have got a corded hammer drill for that and an electric screwdriver for a 10er.

May I recommend this as an addition to your tool collection:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...001&langId=-1&catalogId=4551&productId=255608

7000027A65UC281511M.jpg

For £21 inc. delivery, I think this is a great bargain. Irwin are very expensive. By the way, I do own that set above and can tell you that with my Bosch Cordless Drill Driver using the bits in the set, I managed to drill into brick without any difficulty :). The case alone is worth £20. Very heavy duty stuff there ;).

I wouldn't recommend using a cordless drill. Ok you can use them anywhere, but I doubt they have the same power as corded versions. You can really hear the power draining away in the cordless ones. I have a cordless drill driver which stupidly cost me £50. Not very happy. I could have got a corded hammer drill for that and an electric screwdriver for a 10er
I strongly disagree on the reccomendation of not purchasing a cordless - maybe if your post contained the words "cheap cordless". Whilst I agree no battery can compete with mains, my DW005 hasnt yet failed to drill a hole - fitted a projector and screen the other day in a church - and I'm sure you know how hard those bricks are! went in no probelms (10mm and 16mm). I would also say keep the heck away from large sets of cheapo drill bits - as the old saying goes - "you get what you pay for " (usually!)
I'm glad you are happy with your stuff - I remember buying an sds rotary hammer from netto for £30, and a set of sds bits for about a tenner - they did the job ok, but no where near as well as the better quality stuff - most of the cheap bits are now blunt.
Just to add, IMO stay the heck away from "perf**mance pro" or whatever a large orange diy store sells - they are definately a case of geting what you pay for. - astersisks added - dont want sueing!

I would also say keep the heck away from large sets of cheapo drill bits - as the old saying goes - "you get what you pay for " (usually!)

Oh I do. I wouldn't touch them with a 100 foot barge pole. The same as I wouldn't buy 'Irwin' bits because surely they can't be that must better than cheaper ones. Just cause it says Irwin to make us feel high class.

Oh and stay away from cheap cordless drills ;).

Tozzy said:
Oh I do. I wouldn't touch them with a 100 foot barge pole. The same as I wouldn't buy 'Irwin' bits because surely they can't be that must better than cheaper ones. Just cause it says Irwin to make us feel high class.
;).

the irwin bits are unusual in that they will drill masonry (incl engineering bricks) without the need for hammer action. They will also drill wood , metal , ceramics and porcelain. You try finding a bit in that big set that would even scratch porcelain !!!
less than £11 for a set ( 6 pieces i think) aint that bad value

and before you ask - i do not work for irwin :LOL: (theres nowt high class about them anyway )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back